Monday, July 29, 2013

There'd Be Nothing Left

The thing about you is
You don't have any idea
What you're getting yourself into

See me
I look at you
And I think--it wouldn't be fair

It wouldn't even be fair of me
To slide on over
And suggest an introduction

Because--

Once I got into you
There'd be no getting rid of me
Cause, see--

I make an impact
A dent, some would say
An impression

All depending on
How you want to look at it
How you want to let me hit you
Not hurt you, not like you're thinking
Just...making a mark
Only you can see

But between you and me?

There'd be nothing left

No trust
No safety
Nothing stable
Nothing locked

You'd be rocked to your core
And you're still want more
And nobody'll be able
To get you unhooked

Look, I like you
I like you already
I can tell that--
Well, you're exactly what I'm trying
Not to look for

Sweet, kind
Mindful of yourself
Of how you're perceived

And believe me
I would destroy you

Everything
All parts
I look at you
And all I see
Is everything
I could break
And bust
And smash

You may think you're strong
You're wrong, I promise
There'd be nothing left

And the next guy would pay
And the guy after that
And you'd either get fat or do drugs
To try and make me go away
With a bigger problem (You won't find it)
Or better sex (It doesn't exist)
Or maybe you'll move (I'm everywhere)
Far away (Won't matter)
To start over (I'm God)
A new life (I'm your God)
And nothing will work (Nothing will work)

Because there'd be nothing left to work
There would
Be Nothing
Left

So you stay over there
And I'll stay right here
And if you come over
I'll politely snub you
Doing you a favor
That you won't even recognize

Your friends will sympathize with you
About the guy at the bar
Who was such a creep
Not knowing
I just saved your life
Or at least
Several years of your life

So thank me now
For resisting the impulse I have
To take what I want
Just for the fun
Of taking it
And breaking it
And making it into something
It'll never be again

Thank me
You're welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment