Saturday, October 24, 2015

Make All Your Big Mistakes

Do me a favor

If you’re going to make mistakes
Make them all with me

Give me all your rusty lines
Risky compliments
Workshop lies
Try out all your untried bullshit

Make all your big mistakes with me

Tell me secrets that aren’t true
Blame your ex for all your flaws
Say you like whatever I like
Recite the magic words

Be the one I’m looking for
Knowing full well that you’re not
Make me fall in love
Then leave me

Come on, make your big mistakes

Suck me in, then push me back
Never call
Never write
Never tuck me in at night

Say you love me
To hear how it sounds
Take my dreams
And tattoo your name
On their silver lining

Let me think I have a chance
Laugh at jokes you’ve heard before
Commit romantic gestures
You saw on tv

Don’t save it all for someone else
Make all your big mistakes with me

Hide photos of the two of us
Muddy the water we’re drowning in
Act like we’re coincidental
Just happening to be here
Just happening to be there

Take a trip together
But never mention me
Say ‘It’s complicated’
Say ‘It’s tricky’
Say ‘It’s too soon to tell’

Introduce me to your friends
While they give me knowing looks
Like I’m sick and I don’t know it
But they’re doctors and I’m not

I’m your newest error
I’m your big mistake

And next time you’ll get it right
Next time you’ll know the deal
You’ll have your wits about you
It’ll be a different story
Written in designer ink

Another city, another outfit
Another lip to kiss or bite
Another dark and dusty corner
Another ride to someone else’s bed

You’ll have me to thank
For everything that you get right
And you’ll paint me in your memories
With the light tones of old sins

I’ll still look good
But blue and blurry
Stepping off
Just out of frame

The next one’s gonna be your winner
Your achievement
Your comeback

Me?

I’m just a past regret

But I loom large
I seem so big
So much bigger than the one
You’re taking home tonight

So much more important
Than the ones
That you got right

No comments:

Post a Comment