Sunday, October 7, 2018

And Now I'm Over Here and You're Over There

It’s really not a mystery
You just wound up over there


And we gotta be, uh
You know
We’d be on the same side
Of every room


And then one day
You’re an inch
Then a mile
Then you’re just gone


And I’m looking around like--


Boy, I must’ve messed up, right?


How’d it all go like the ocean
Where it takes you away
From where you want to be


You’re over there
And I’m over here
And I can see you


For awhile
I couldn’t even do that


But now, yeah
I can see you


You’re looking off to the side
Trying to catch my attention
And it’s, uh--


It’s been ten years
You know?

Ten damn years
And we’re doing this--


You trying to catch
My attention?

Baby, I’m too old for that


I’m just--


I mean, I don’t know
If I’m too old
Or too tired
But I’m one of ‘em


I’m…


I’m one of ‘em


And I’ll tell you one thing
I’m not, ha


I’m not going over there


And I know you well enough to know
You’re not coming over here


So, uh, we got a problem, right?

Too stubborn people
Keep everything between them
And nothing next to ‘em


Certainly not each other


You’ve had a space for me
Next to you
Since I’ve known you


And I’ve had my whole life cleared out
So it was nothing but space and space and space
Waiting for you to come along
And fill it up for me


But one of us
Has to budge, right?


And, uh, whether it’s right or wrong
I’m telling you
I can’t


I can’t go over there


Not after--


Ten years, you know?

No

I can’t


Not anymore


I love you like nobody’s ever…


And now I’m over here and you’re there


Stuck in place
With all this bullshit music playing
And people dancing
And eyes going this way and that
Because the minute one of us sees each other
We’re going to go running
Right past all these other folks
And that’s scary, isn’t it?


You’re over there
And I’m right here
Tapping my toe
Waiting for you
To stop looking at nothing
And start looking at me
Like I’ve been asking you to for…


I guess none of this
Is going to get…


I just want to know


I just want to know
While you sit there


I want to know
Where we go

From here

No comments:

Post a Comment