Friday, November 1, 2013

The Caveman and The Comet

The next time this comet runs towards us
It'll be eight thousand years from now
And our children's children
Will be but memories
Of dust and wind

That's if it doesn't hit us this time
Which it might

Everyone sleeps
Because we sleep
Because being awake makes us nervous
And although slumber is difficult
We tell ourselves stories
And run and jump
And tire ourselves out

That is why you see piles of resting people
Spread out all over the land

Some tried to shelter themselves
Hiding in caves
Digging holes
Some just started walking towards...

Well, towards who knows what

Me, I just sit here
Legs crossed
Arms out
Looking up

Part of me hopes the comet will come down
Right on top of me
And that'll be it

No fires, no big waves from the water
Nothing but a blinding light
And then silence

I don't know what comes after
Because I have no idea what came before
And because what came before doesn't frighten me
Because, you see, it's already happened
I see it as a sign
That I am not meant to fear what's to come
For one day it will be behind me

And when there is nothing left to put behind me
I will have completed my journey
And that is something to be proud of

Others have familes, children
And they are concerned
And I understand

I would want my children to live forever
Long past me
Long past their own grandchildren
Who I will never meet

I would like to think of them as immortal
But they are not
The same way I am not

I kissed them on their heads
As they lay next to their mother
And I told them everything would be all right
Knowing very well it might not be

When my first child was born
My own father was his deathbed
And when I asked him what advice he had for me
About being a parent
He only spoke two words:

'Stay Calm'

I asked him what you do when you can't stay calm
And he said one word:

'Lie'

And then he died

You'd be amazed how far that advice has taken me

My children are asleep
Because Dad didn't seem to be too nervous

My wife knows better
She's got her eyes closed
But I can tell her she's awake
And trying not to cry

I leaned over to kiss her before I came to sit out here
And I whispered to her
Something I won't repeat her
Because some things should stay
Between a husband and his wife

As I sit and wait
An animal makes its way over to me
And begins to press its face
Against my leg

They won't have these animals on Earth
Eight thousand years from now
But they'll have something similar
Although much friendlier

These creatures are normally not fond of us, the humans
But this one seems to want a truce

I suppose no living thing
Can stand being on its own
For very long
Especially when death
Is approaching

Animals disappear when we wound them
During the hunt
They like to die in peace
But the world feels softer
Now that it may be ending
And somehow colder
And everyone is seeking heat
Of some kind or another

I gather up the animal in my arms
And it does not resist me

We sit together
Two breathing organisms
That cannot understand each other
And yet know exactly
What the other is thinking

It is then that I look around
And realize all those piles of people
My friends and neighbors
Have started to slowly move towards each other
Into one big pile

Those who were hidden have come out
And huddled up against those were not hidden
And families have put their arms around each other
Even while asleep

Many years from now
They will talk about how this way of life
Was brought to an end

By a comet
And its consequences

But they will not talk about this
Because they will not know

How there was a prevailing over nature
Because, even at its most beautiful
Nature is, in its essence
Cold and unfeeling

It does not live, it occurs
It attacks
It is to be dealt with

And our victory over it
Is this moment
Of warmth
And community
And kindness

One day they will say we were barbarians
That we were simple and ignorant
That we had no culture
No creativity
No beautiful words

But I wonder...

If the comet misses us
Only to eight thousands years from now
What will people do then?

Will they come out of their houses
Houses much bigger than ours
Will they lay down on the ground or the grass
Or in the dirt

Will they all cling to each other
Desperately to each other
The way we are now?

Or will they choose to die alone
And stay with that choice
Believing in it
To the very end of their existence?

Who can say?

I only know one thing for certain
In this moment
Of great uncertainty

And that is what my last thought will be
If it is my last thought

My last thought will be--

My goodness

What a beautiful night

No comments:

Post a Comment