Thursday, March 3, 2016

Return to the Lie

So I know what we’re doing now
We’re returning to the lie

We tried the truth
It didn’t work
So now we’re going back

I won’t look at you
You won’t look at me

We’ll crack our half-laugh jokes
We’ll smile forgiving smiles
We’ll bribe ourselves with calendars
Two more days, two more weeks
Then we’ll make a change

You’ll get home at seven
I’ll get home at six

Pizza Mondays
Take-out Tuesdays
And grilled whatever
The rest of the week

Have I gained weight?
Have you lost hair?
No
No

We’re pecks on the cheek
And clothes from last week
Did we wash them?
Who cares
It’s not like they went anywhere

But we have our secret weapons
That we keep tucked away

The attitude lurks
In the bottom of compliments
And bottles of wine

The extended sighs
The rolling eyes
The letting go
Of things
That used to make us fight

Why fight now?
What for?
For what?

To get some kind of closure
On why you did this
And why I did that

I did that because I’m me
And you did this because you’re you
Or maybe I’m how I am because of you
Because I’m with you
And maybe it’s the same
The other way around

Blame gets left on the counter
Right next to our keys
And each of us
Keeps forgetting
Where we put it

The faucets stay running
The lights stay on
The locks unlocked
The doors ajar

Welcoming in
Whatever kind of trouble
We could get ourselves in

But even trouble doesn’t want
Anything to do with us

Trouble went to the house next door
And took that old man
And his lovely old wife

They died together
In the very same bed
A day apart?
Two days?
Who knows?

Maybe it happened
All at once
Wouldn’t that be kind?

I get the feeling
Death will not be that kind
To us

Because even if you died next to me
I’d still die alone

Alone and lonely
Because the only thing
Keeping me company
Was a lie

A you-shaped lie
That I put myself
In the middle of

A bargain I made
That kept me just happy enough
To never move
To never leave
To never shift
To never shout
To never pout
To never pray
For anything better
Because I’ve seen worse
All my life

But I could see better
Across the street

For a night, we did it
We said what we said
We dropped glass on the floor
And stepped on it

We threw out food
That wasn’t bad

We bumped our heads
On the low-hanging fruit

We burned down the candles
And filled up the sink
Smeared jelly on our faces
Poured shampoo on the bed

No going to sleep
Until this was worked out
And the lie was showed outside
Until we did

But…

It got cold outside
And we felt bad
For ourselves

And so we invited the lie
Back inside
And it lives on the floor
And it lives in our mouths
And it lives in the attic
And it stays on the couch
And we keep it
Protect it
It’s ours
It’s the only thing

We agree on

It’s the only thing
We’ve made
That never seems
To break

So here we are
Knowing what we know
Knowing too much
Knowing everything
But the things we need to know

Oh well.

It’s colder outside, right?

That’s what they tell me
That’s what I imagine

They’d say

No comments:

Post a Comment