Friday, January 4, 2019

You're Getting Out

What you need to understand is--
I’m here for the life
You’re going to have later

That’s what I am composed of
And attempting to accomplish
With you

Please look at me
When I’m speaking to you

I have never indicated
That I do not think
You are worthy of my respect
But you are surely mistaken
If you think that at any point
That same respect
Will not be shown to me

I put you in front of these computers
Because these computers
Are where your future is

Not outside
Not playing

You see how your uncle is
With your cousins

Out on the field
Every weekend
Teaching them to hit a ball
Like that’s a reasonable investment

It might pay off
But it’s not a given

We do given’s in this house
We do sure things

I’m not interested
In rolling the dice
On making you
The next Babe Ruth

I’d rather sit you right here
In front of this monitor
And make sure you’re going to be somebody

I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention
To the news
But the 80’s aren’t exactly the era
Of wise decisions

It might as well be Armageddon out there
So while I believe in the value
Of sunshine
And recreation
I also believe that when I send my son
Out of my house
I want him to come back
In one piece

So as far as I’m concerned
You’re going to have to get
All that sunshine
And playtime
When you’re older
And can appreciate it more

And if that leaves you
A little vitamin deficient
And resentful
Then it’s still better
Than being dead
So that’s just fine with me

I was not born with many abilities
Not like your uncle
Who could pick up anything
With a little practice

Baseball, football, anything

But you know where it got him?

Two blocks away

That’s it

And now he’s trying to see
If he can get his kids
Another two blocks
And maybe in a hundred years
Some people in this family
Will be far enough away
To live some kinda life

I guess that’s his plan

But that’s not my plan
That’s not my plan for you

You’re going to sit here
And you’re going to pick up
As much as you can
About coding
And wiring
And doing whatever else
You have to do
To be one of those people
I see on the news
Working out of their garage
Creating the future
While everybody laughs at 'em
Because it doesn't matter who's laughing
It only matters where the people getting laughed at
End up

You see what I'm talking about?

You stick your hands
All the way into the future
And you’re going to birth
Something good

I believe that

You know what my only ability was growing up?

I could see the future

I could look at things
And know where they were going
And where they weren’t going

I looked at my brother
And I saw he was going to be stuck here
And so were his kids
And so were their kids
And so was I

But I also saw you
I saw you
And I knew you weren’t getting stuck

I knew that I was going to hold you
Tighter than anybody had ever held anybody
And I knew that was the only way
I was ever going
To get you out

No comments:

Post a Comment