Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Bricks on the Side

Leave the bricks on the side
While you work

Stack ‘em up
We’ll dump ‘em later

Go around to the front
See if the old man
Left yet

I’d put up fifty walls
If I had my way

All around the block
Tell ‘em
Try it now

Try getting here now
These people
With their lemonade stands

We got dirt roads
And front porches
And they’re talking
About convenience

Who cares about things
Being convenient?

If I don’t have something
Right in front of me
Then I don’t need it

Everyone wants it
In their hands
In their hands

Nobody wants to wait
Until tomorrow morning
Like we used to do

Nothing so wrong with that
We got by
Nobody went missing
Nobody went toe up

Everything seemed
Just fine to me

So old man comes to me
And says--

Brick up my house
Brick it up good
I’m done seeing the sun
From my front windows
I want to just lay here
Like my wife did
And wait for Revelation

I say--

Sure

Not gonna argue with him
What would be the point?

I think it’s your right
To say you want to
Keep people out

Let people have their opinions
That’s all right
But don’t think
You get to say
What’s what

That man lost his wife
And he didn’t have a smile left
On his face
So why’s he going to keep on
Getting his mail
And reading his newspaper?

You ever lost something?
Something real?

Something that you
Knew you couldn’t
Live without?

So you know why
Somebody would say
They’ve had enough, right?

People say
It’s just money for me

That I need a job
So if I want to help
An old man kill himself
I’m going to do it
Because I need the cash
But that’s a load of shit

I know how to make money
And I know how to feed myself
And wipe my own ass
And the minute I can’t anymore
You throw me behind some bricks too
Because I don’t see what another sunset
Is going to do for me

Brick me up
Just like I’m doing

For now, keep ‘em on the side

I’m going to start with wood
See how he likes it

Nice and tall
With no door
And that should
Do the trick

But if he doesn’t like it
I’ll start with the bricks

Not my business
To tell a man
When to close his eyes

That’s how I see it

That’s how
I’ve always

Seen it

No comments:

Post a Comment