Saturday, April 20, 2013

Mother on the Lifeboat


A lifeboat drifts
It’s quiet
But it’s not

I just can’t hear anything
I’m deaf
I’m numb
I keep looking forward
Waiting for the rescue ship
That should have been here at the start of all this

There are only four people in this lifeboat
Not counting myself
And my daughter

Four people, all women
All exhausted from worry
Huddled together
On the side of the boat

I think they’re praying
But I don’t want to pray
I don’t feel like it

Unfortunately, it’s not concrete enough for me
At the moment
I’d like something a little more physical
Something harder than faith and water

I haven’t given up on my religion, mind you
But at the moment, God seems like a naughty child
I still love him
I’m just not interested in speaking with him
Until I know what his punishment should be

All those lives…

And all the rest of us
Who knows how we’ll be…affected
From this point on

My little daughter is asleep in my lap
Four years old

Her father…

He put us in the lifeboat

He put us in the lifeboat
And he started to say something
And then a rope snapped
And the boat started to fall

I’m amazed we’re not all dead

My daughter was crying
And eventually she just cried herself out

What am I going to tell this little girl when she wakes up?

And what am I going to tell her
The day after that?
And the day after that?

That no boat will ever sink again?
That better plans will be put into place when boats do?
That from now on we’ll only ride on planes and automobiles
And this will mean we’re safe?

What promises can I make to my child
That won’t turn into lies?

I overheard one of the women in the boat saying
‘What is this world coming to?’
And I wanted to remind her
That people have been saying that
Since the dawn of the time

I can even imagine it being the first thing
Eve said when she found out
One of her sons had killed the other

‘You did what?  My God.  What is this world coming to?’

A hundred years from now
People might laugh about this
In this moment, it seems impossible
But time has a way of erasing sensitivity

We laugh about Lincoln’s assassination now
We laugh about the Civil War
We laugh about that child murderer
Who used to lock up his victims in his basement and…

One day my daughter will laugh about all this
And that is both a comfort
And a concern

Something tells me being a mother
Is going to mean something
Very different from now on

I have to instill caution
And spontaneity

A love of life
But a practicality

Strength, and also
Compassion

I have to give her a heart like my mother’s

My mother, the actress, who was always the best
At playing melodrama

The salt would spill
Or wine would fall on her dress
Or she’d be reading the tallies of the soldiers
Killed in the war
And she’d say
‘Dear, dear dear.  My heart is just breaking!’

One time, as a little girl, I said to her
‘Mother, I’m worried about your heart
It keeps beaking!’

She pulled me onto her lap
And said, ‘Never fear.  My heart can break a thousand times
But my spirit never will’

When the rope snapped
And the lifeboat went down
I remember looking up at my husband’s face
And feeling my heart slowly begin to crack and fall apart

But then I looked down at my daughter
And my spirit tightened
So that I felt sure
That no matter happened
We would be all right

So now we wait
And we rest
And we worry
And we cry
And we hope
And we curse
And we beg
And we shiver
And we wait and wait and wait

And it’s quiet but it’s not

‘What is this world coming to?’

I hope my daughter never has to say those words

But only time
Will tell

No comments:

Post a Comment