Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Sweet Relief

I remember standing
Like I never understood
Watching all the leaves blow by
Across the neighborhood

Then I heard the news
About the boy I left out west
Months without a phone call
But I never would have guessed

He found relief
Sweet relief

Driving to the exes house
To pick up all my stuff
He’s heading to Texas
‘Cause he says he’s had enough

Now we’re standing here
Debating optional goodbyes
I would love to laugh at him
But just for fun, I’ll cry

It’s a relief
Sweet relief

Why don’t you change?
Why don’t you grow up?
Why don’t you take a trip somewhere?

Too much to do
Too little time
Too hard to act like I could care

So when you let go
What do you know…

It’s a…relief

Looking at the funeral photos
Judging all the dresses
Thinking of the fools you’ve loved
And all your famous messes

Sitting on your mom’s porch
Sipping what she had in stock
One day you’re made of nothing
Then the next day you’re a rock

And now, relief
Sweet relief

You can figure out yourself
Just call out sick from work
Apologize to all the guys
For all your little quirks

Move back to the basement
And cut loose from all your friends
You’ll have another comeback
And we’ll see where this one ends

What a relief
Sweet relief

Who says hello?
Who’s checking in?
Who would depend on you at all?

It’s only a blip
A fall or a trip
Who’s even left for you to call?

You’d better let go
For all that you know

It’s a…relief

There’s so much to do
And not much of you

Better try now
To make it somehow

So when you let go
You’ll finally know


Sweet relief

No comments:

Post a Comment