Monday, August 27, 2018

A Lousy Father and a Perfect Husband

He was a lousy father
And a perfect husband


I’m not saying he beat the kids
Although he wanted to beat them
I know that for sure


Now I don’t know how big of a difference there is
Between a father who beats their children
And a father who wants to beat their children
But I’m just letting you know
In case you’re wondering if he beat them


He didn’t beat them


But he was a lousy father
All the same


Now, my father beat me
But he was a pretty good dad
Aside from that


Isn’t that funny?

That a father who beats his kids
Can still be a good father otherwise
And a dad who doesn’t beat his kids
Can be so fucking awful?


Isn’t that just crazy?

My father was a bad husband
Horrible
My mother died a sad, sad woman
And he beat me
And my brother
Not my other brother though
No idea why
Maybe he thought my two brothers
Were the same kid


They did look kind of alike


Either way, only two of us got beat
But we got beat enough for three kids
And even then
We had a pretty good childhood


But my mother had a godawful
Fucking life


Now I have a great life
But my kids?


My kids are suffering


They know their father hates them
And he knows they know
He hates them
And I’m just walking around like--


Hey, does anybody want to watch a Disney movie
And eat some popcorn?


And they all just look at me
Like I’m the dumbest fucker
That ever walked the face of the earth


Like I don’t know
They all hate each other


I know it
But what the hell am I supposed to do?

Build a gladiator cage
And let they all
Kill each other?

I’m the mother of this damn family
The matriarch
I’m supposed to keep shit together


But a little part of me--


Okay, I’ll be honest
I’ll be honest now


A little part of me wonders
If a man can be a good husband
And a good father


No, that’s not true
Sorry
Sorry about that


I’m not--


I wonder if a man can be both
I wonder if a man can be great at both


Because, oh lord
He’s a great husband


He’s as good at being a husband
As he is bad at being a father
And--and--


And maybe that’s...connected?


Maybe it’s all tied together


And maybe I don’t want to…


Untie it


I know it’s selfish
But--but--


But there’s no guarantee
He’d be a good father to the kids
Even if he was a lousy husband to me


So…


So why not just…


Leave things the way they are?


One day the kids will have their own spouses
And their own kids
And maybe their kids will love them
And maybe they won’t


But if they have the choice--


If they have the choice


I hope they’d make the same choice
I’m making


But…


But


Isn’t that what every parent hopes?

I mean--


Isn’t that what we’re all

Hoping for?

No comments:

Post a Comment