Monday, August 27, 2018

When the Devil Talks Like God


He’s got enough hands
To make it work

Don’t be a fool
Be a fool
And get fooled
That’s all people do these days

Ride up to the ladder
And see how tall
See how--
See how it all
Pans out

I cut my nails yesterday
Trying to claw my way
Out of hell

Two coffins deep
And I still have dirt
Under my fingernails

And you
Want me
To take these muddy hands
And put ‘em together
To pray?

I can’t do that I’m afraid

Obey and okay
But I can’t
Send up prayers to god
With filthy hands

My mother used to be the one
To tell us
To wash our hands

Daddy didn’t

Daddy couldn’t scrape the rust off
No matter how hard
He tried

And the rust
Used to look
Like sin to me
Back when I was little

I thought my Dad must have been
Real bad
To have hands like that

I didn’t know that evil men
Keep clean palms
And pristine fingernails

I didn’t know
That when you send a prayer up
Covered in dirt
God’ll know you were a person
Who worked
For what they got
And God’ll be proud of you for that

I didn’t know
That the softest hand
You’ll ever feel in your life
Is probably going to be coated with grime
Because it reached into the darkest inferno
To pull you out
And back into the light

My mother used to stand over us
While we were washing our hands
And she’d ask us
What our day was like us
And who talked to us that day

We’d tell her about our teachers
And our friends
And the man who came to the door
Trying to sell us Bibles

‘What’d he say to you,’ she asked

We told her
He wanted to know
If our parents were home
And when we said they weren’t
Because our mother was at the market
And our dad was doing double shifts
He kind of smiled at us
And asked if he could come in

‘But you didn’t let him in, right?’
‘No, ma’am, we didn’t.’

I remember how nice his voice sounded
How low, the timbre
The way he cut his ‘t’s
And slit his ‘r’s

I remember his pretty pink hand
Resting on the doorframe
Looking at my sister
And then at me

Later that night, I got into bed with my mom
My dad asleep downstairs on the couch
Watching tv

I told her how nice the man spoke
And how clean his hands were

She told me
That a hand can be cleaned
The way she made me
Clean mine
So you can’t tell anything
About a person from that
Except that they want to
Present something
To the world

‘But a voice,’ she said, ‘Those “t”s and “r”s…
Now they can tell you something’

I still think about that
When I wash my hands
And put on a suit
And go door-to-door
Asking people
If they want to hear the word

I think about what I present
And who I am
And how clean my hands look
And how clean they’ll never look
Because of the things
I can’t scrub off

I think about my ‘t’s and ‘r’s
And I rest my fingers
On the doorframe
Asking to be let in
To living rooms
And kitchens
And sacred spaces

Sometimes I see a cross
Hanging over the fireplace
And I know I’ve found my hearth

‘Sometimes dirty looks like clean
And sometimes good looks like bad’

That’s something
My mother used to tell us

‘Sometimes the devil talks like god’

And who the hell can tell
The difference

No comments:

Post a Comment