Sunday, December 6, 2009

Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner

He came in before work
Never did find out what he did for work
He ordered his eggs runny
But I didn't put in for them that way
Because he looked sloppy
And I knew he'd spill yolk on his tie

Somehow I knew
So I brought him scrambled

And he never said anything about it
When I put his plate down

He just smiled
And he tipped me
Not a lot, but a respectable amount

Didn't take much more than that
For me to love him

All I wanted was a man who wouldn't complain

Call it low standards
I call it a lot less noise

He came by for lunch
And I made him a salad
Because he needs to watch his cholesterol
I didn't know that for a fact
But he didn't look healthy

He ordered a piece of pie
And I just brought him a glass of water

He smiled
Paid the bill
Left a tip

I was scared

I didn't see a ring
But I know some men
Don't wear their rings

Or maybe he had a girlfriend
Or maybe he didn't
Maybe he was lonely
Sitting at home
Eating all the wrong things

Mostly I didn't want anybody
Bringing him lasagna
And loving him in a bad way

I got four orders wrong
In one shift
Which isn't like me

I'm good at what I do
I would say I'm the best
But I'm not the type
To say those kinds of things

When he came back for dinner
I knew he wanted me

Our breakfast menu is good
And our lunch menu is decent
But our dinner menu is awful

So for him to come back for that
And sit there
And look at that menu
And not walk out

It meant he loved me

He ordered something
I don't remember what

I didn't bother writing it down

I just had the cook make chicken pot pie
Because I like it
So I figured he would too

I had him box it up
And I walked to his booth
And I said--

'Let's go'

And he put down a twenty
And we walked out

I don't know who got that tip
But I sure hope they enjoyed it

No comments:

Post a Comment