Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rain in Miami, Snow in New York

Nothing like a Christmas party in July, huh?

Don't you just love theme nights
At a dive bar?

Gives you something to live for, huh?

You like my Santa hat?

Ho ho ho

I talked myself into coming here
Now I'm trying to talk myself into going back home

Something about getting drunk with strangers
Seems healthier than getting drunk alone

If nothing else, at least I'll be social

I'll be...

There's a snowstorm in New York, you know

And here we are, safe in Miami
Paradise
Minus the rain

At least here you know it'll stop raining
When it's winter in New York
It feels like it's always going to be winter
And it starts to get to you

Winter would always set me back
For awhile, I thought I had seasonal depression
But it turns out I just don't like staying in for days at a time
Or seeing the daylight run out at four in the afternoon

I'd quit things, you know
Like smoking
And then--February would roll around
And I'd go right back to it

Same thing with drinking
Same thing with a lot of things
Men and...yeah...

...Yeah

Sometimes you feel like you've met every person in the world
You're ever gonna meet

And it makes you feel so alone
Like...
Like there's nothing left
That's going to surprise you
Except the bad stuff

You try to remember the last time you felt happy and...

I was in New York
And I said, 'Ugh, I gotta get out of here'

This place that I worked my whole life to get to
And suddenly I couldn't stand being there
For one more second

So--I get on a plane
And here I am
And the first day
It rained

Isn't that--

Well, see--because it was snowing
When I left New York

Flight got delayed three times
And then finally we just took off in the middle of it
Airlines decided to make a break for it, I guess
And everybody on the plane was freaking out
Except me--because I just wanted to get the hell out of there
And if I died trying, I really didn't care

Btu then I get here
And the weather is...

God, if you believed in omens
I would have just walked into the sea
Then and there

But I don't

--Believe in omens, or--

--Anything, really

Wherever you go, something's gonna remind you
That you can't go that far

Not as far as you need to, you know
To...

To, uh...Well.

Cheers, right?

Cheers to sucky weather
And big cities
And cheap liquor

Here's to hoping the sun comes out

Do you even remember the last good day you had?

Hard, isn't it?
Hard to remember

Well--Merry Christmas, right?

And here's to next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment