Friday, August 22, 2014

Who You Are in the Neighborhood

Look who decided to show up

Come back for a victory lap?

Don't bother

Nobody gave you a crown here

Nobody told you were somebody here

Who you are outside of here?  I don't give a fuck

I didn't say you were anything

Nobody here said you were anything

You remember that

You remember that before you come back saying you're this and that

That's somewhere else

And I don't care where it is--it's still not here

Here we got our own rules, our qualifications, things we need to see you do to figure out if you're worth something

See, success is local, okay?  Success is what the person next door to you thinks, not what some person halfway across the world thinks of you

You gotta earn your success here, first, before you go acting like you're hot shit

You gotta be somebody where you grew up, in your neighborhood
Because this is where it's tough
This is where it means something
This is where you get judged

People somewhere else think you're a genius?
You ain't no fucking genius
Not unless I say you're a genius
Because I've known you since you were at my knee
And that means I'll know you forever
Because people don't change all that much
Whether they want to or not

You left her a piece of shit
And you think that's changed?

Nothing's changed

Maybe I can't make people outside this neighborhood
See you for who you are
Because all they get is the piece of you
That you want them to have
And they say that's enough for them to say you're one thing or another
Which--hey, sorry, but that's fuckin' stupid in my book
But--hey--if that's good enough for them, whatever

But here--right here
I get to see all of you
Every bit
And that's why I'm not standing here with a smile on my face
Acting like I'm thrilled

So if you're looking for somebody to kiss your ass
You might need to buy some lipstick
And do it yourself
Because we got nothing for you here, okay?

Who you are in the neighborhood is some guy who couldn't hack it
That's all
That's it

Somebody who couldn't make it here
So he went off somewhere easier
And that's fine by me
But that just makes you a quitter
It don't make you smart

But hey, yeah, take a look around
See what you missed out on
Shake a few hands
Make yourself feel good

Just remember where you are
And what that makes you

Then get back in your car
And drive away, okay?

'Cause nobody here is impressed

No comments:

Post a Comment