Saturday, February 4, 2017

Seven Years

He came back
After seven years

Seven years gone
And he comes running back
Saying he’s changed

Oh, you’ve changed?

You’ve changed, okay?

I was in the backyard
Putting steaks on the grill

The neighbors next door
--The ones in the condo
They were arguing about something
Who knows what
They were always arguing
This was a few years ago
Before one of them left
To go with some younger girl
From Scovie

That poor woman
--The one he left?
She drank herself to death
In that condo
Such a shame

But he comes back
Suitcase and everything
I almost laughed
I really did
You gotta laugh
When somebody’s got balls that big
And they drop ‘em
On your front door

He said while he was away
He figured out some things
And read a few books
And got himself together
And I’m going—

Mhmm
Mhmm

But I’m only half listening
Because I don’t want to burn the steaks
On account of his stupid ass
And his new outlook on life

He’s walking back and forth on the deck
Saying we never had a deck
And I say ‘Yeah, I know, I put one in’
And he said, ‘Why’d you do that?’
And I said, ‘Because I felt like it’

And I can see him
Sort of getting mad
The way he used to
And I just clicked my tongue
Because I knew
Where we were going
We’d been there before
And seven years
Ain’t long enough
To change someone

I can tell you that right now

So he gets a little mad
But then he just pulls a beer from the cooler
We keep out there
And pops it open
Puts his arms around me
Starts kissing my neck

Made me pretty sick
I’ll tell you that
Sick to my stomach

I’m flipping the steaks
More than I needed to
Because I gotta do something
So I don’t have to think about
Those lips
And where they been
And why they’re on my neck now

Because some other girl
Probably threw him out
And for the first time in his life
He didn’t have anywhere else to go
So he comes back home

And I’m thinking—

I should have moved
Like I always said I would

Just because it’s a nice house
That doesn’t mean
There aren’t other nice houses
But I really loved this house
And the girls were too young
To remember most of the shit
That went down here
So I stayed
Because they liked it too

Or maybe because
I’m just a coward

I’m a coward

That’s what I was thinking
When he bit me

Just a little lovebite
Just on my earlobe
But that was enough

I sidestepped
Put my hand
On the back of his head
And smashed it down
Onto the grill

He went to scream
But before he could
I took the knife I was using
To flip the steaks
And slit his throat

Then I let him cook
For a little while longer
Before I shoved him
Down on the ground

You know

Sometimes you say something
And it comes out
Sounding pretty clever
But it ain’t true

Like, when you say seven years
Ain’t long enough
To change somebody

Turns out

That’s not true

No comments:

Post a Comment