Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Love Lives of Other Women

I stir my coffee
And pretend not to listen

Carla's got a new boyfriend
And he's changing her life
With his guitar playing
And sexual prowess

Carla thinks there's a big age gap
Between the two of us
When really we're only separated
By two years

I just look older
I act older
I don't talk about my love life

I sip my coffee
And look at death certificates

Records about people
I never met
And never will

It's one of those jobs
That will tenderly kill your soul
If you stay with it long enough
And I intend to

Carla is going on about her boyfriend's band
And how after he plays with them
He screws her in his car
In the parking lot of whatever bar
He's doing a gig at

Carla says she's been awakened
Awakened by all this newfound sexual activity

Carla's new boyfriend is four years younger than her
Six years younger than me
Practically a child

Who seems determined
To screw his way into adulthood

I guess there are worse ways to mature

A death record comes up
Belonging to a woman my age
And for a second
I flash on her
This woman

Great hair
Good boobs
Annoying younger sister
Mother who's never pleased
Two boyfriends her whole life
Never bought a ridiculous pair of shoes
Never, ever had the kind of sex Carla is going on about

Dead before thirty

I put my coffee down
I pick up my purse
I head out of the office

Carla is practically touching herself
As she recounts the story
Of she and her boyfriend
Going to kids' movies at midnight
To try and catch an abandoned theater they can--

I don't hear the rest
I'm already thinking about what I'm going to say
When I tell my boss why I left work early

I'll have to tell him that he has to give the rest of my work to Carla
For the foreseeable future
That'll keep her at work pretty late
For the next few nights

Then I'll think about what I'm going to wear
When I go see Carla's boyfriend's band tonight

1 comment:


  1. I am the happiest person on earth today because today My three years run away lover came back to me on his knees with tears on his eyes begging me to forgive him and accept him back, Doctor Omonigho a great Spell caster made this possible with the help a returning love spell, i saw his email on the internet where a girl post on how Dr Omonigho helped her so i decided to contact him and i explain every that that happen to my marriage, he told me that every thing will be fine and now i am happy because Dr Omonigho is a man of his words and his spell is 100% guarantee and it last forever, you can contact his email: omonigholovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete