Friday, May 3, 2013

Because I Don't Want to Be Pregnant

I really enjoy
The CNN-ing of my body

The discussions
The arguments
The back-and-forth rat-a-tat-tat's
About my body
And what's happening to it

I really enjoy
Hearing the difficulties
Men--let me say that word again
Men--are thinking of instituting
To make the handling
Of something going on with my body
Embarrassing, painful, or both

I really enjoy
Knowing that doctors are now legally allowed
To lie to me
About my body

That they can perform unnecessary procedures
On my body

That they can do whatever they have to do
Short of putting me in an induced coma
For nine months
Taking my child from me
And then ironing a red 'A' onto my skin
So people will know forever
The awful choice I almost made

And what they don't understand
These Men--what they don't understand
Is that no matter what they do
It isn't going to make a difference
Because--and here's the sentence
Other women seem to be afraid to say
Because--listen closely now

Because

I don't want to be pregnant

I don't care what you tell me about my pregnancy
I don't care if you tell me that Mozart was almost aborted
I don't care if you suggest that my chances of having another child will be impeded
I don't care if you tell me that for the rest of my life I'm going to regret this decision
And it's going to drive me towards becoming a recluse, a bitch
Or an independent film-maker

Because I don't want to be pregnant

Why don't I want to be pregnant?

Oh, there could be many reasons

Maybe I'm too young to have a child
Maybe I'm too old
Maybe I already have a few kids and I don't want anymore
Maybe my husband and I are getting a divorce
Maybe I just took a new job that won't allow me time to have children
Maybe having a child would put my own life in danger
Maybe I was raped
Maybe I was raped by a relative
Maybe the guy I'm seeing doesn't want children
Maybe I don't want children
Maybe I'm not equipped to have children
Maybe, if I had a kid, all I'd be doing is subjecting it to a life of pain and misery
Maybe I'm just scared that having a kid will hurt like hell and I'd rather not put myself through that
Maybe there are other reasons I'm not even telling you
Maybe those reasons and all the reasons listed above are none of your goddamn business

So yes, there could be reasons

Now, here's something else you need to listen to--

Because I don't want to be pregnant
I will find a way not to be pregnant

Did you hear that one, everybody?
Did you get that loud and clear?

If I do not want to be pregnant
I will not be pregnant

And trying to legislate me into staying pregnant
When I don't want to be
Is like trying to stop people from having sex
Or getting high

Oh wait, people have tried to legislate that
The same people, actually
Who are trying to legislate me
Into childbearing

Here's one of the basic principles
Upon which society thrives:

If people want to do something
They're going to do it
And if they don't want to do something
They're not going to do it

So

If I don't want to have a kid
I'm not going to have one

And if that means getting an abortion
In a safe and legal way
Then great

But please understand
That if that's not possible
I'm still going to get one

If I have to get it from a doctor I don't trust
Or an ex-doctor
Or somebody who looks like a doctor
In a bad a part
Of a bad town
That it takes me three hours to drive to

Or if I have to get it in somebody's basement
Or the back of a store
Or outdoor on a picnic table

If I have to roll the dice
And drink poison
Then that's what I'll do
Because I don't want to be pregnant

So make whatever laws you want to make
So you can make me a criminal
But while you're busy protecting guns and persecuting gay people
I'm still going to be getting my abortion

And if your only way to stop me
Is to make me feel dirty or wrong about it
Or to make it a crime
Then go right ahead

Because the thing about people who legislate is this:

In four to six years, you'll be gone
And I may get to vote for somebody
Who actually gets
That my body
Isn't their concern

But having a child
Is forever

So good luck with your laws
And your campaigns
And your speeches

I'm going to listen
And nod
And then I'm going to do
What I have to do

Because I don't want to be pregnant

And that's all I have to say

No comments:

Post a Comment