Saturday, May 4, 2013

Play It for the Moms

Let me tell you something

It's not easy to find a song for moms

I mean, it is
If you're totally clear
On what it is you're trying to--
You know
Evoke

But

It's a little difficult
If you're aiming for a variety of emotions

If you want to make your mom cry
That's easy

You can do Kenny Rogers "Through the Years"
You can do Boyz II Men "A Song for Mama"
You can do pretty much anything by Ray Charles

At my high school graduation dance
Where parents were invited
The mother/son dance was "Have I Told You Lately"
Which seemed really creepy to me

If you're going to pick a song for your Mom
Try not to make it something
You'd also sing to your girlfriend
On a bearskin rug
In a Time Life commercial

If you happen to like theater
As I do
There are also lots of options
Some of them good--Mama a Rainbow
Some of them not so good--If Mama Was Married
And the obscure, such as "Mama Was From Kentucky" from the 1920's musical revue "Beggars Can't Be Choosers."

(I made that up.  I'm really good at making up eleven o'clock numbers from old musicals that don't really exist.)

If you want to see some Mom dancing
There's Earth, Wind, and Fire
The Jackson 5
And The Commodores "Brick House"

But if you want to just say 'Thanks'
Just 'Thanks'

Thanks for sticking by me
Thanks for sticking up for me
Thanks for telling me to stick it out

Thanks for being a really good Mom
Your options are a little limited

I mean, how do you fit all that into a song?
Into just one song?

It's pretty hard

So just say Thanks
And let your mom tell you what song she wants

After all
It is her day

No comments:

Post a Comment