Sunday, September 9, 2018

I Can Give You Anything But Rent

I can sit here on a Saturday night
And wait for you
To get home
So you can tell me
All about Greg
And how great Greg is
And how much fun you had with Greg
And I can give you
Precious hours
Of my dwindling life
On the peak hours
Of what is supposed to be
A youthful weekend

I can do that
And I can do more
And I can give you anything
But rent

Because the job search
Is mired in inadequacy
And insecurity

I’m not qualified
For anything
I want

And I don’t want
Anything
I’m qualified for

Which
If you think about
Sums up every aspect of my life

My brother won’t return my calls
About my nephew’s birthday party
Which is leading me to believe
That, you know, maybe I’m not, uh--

Uh

--Actually invited to the fucking birthday party

Probably because
I made it clear
That I can’t afford to give presents this year
But, you know, it doesn’t seem like that should be--

If you’re going to eat what’s in the fridge
Can you replace it
So I don’t starve to death?

Thanks

You have money
I don’t
But I buy all the food
And then you ask about rent
So, like, this is me saying
Can you replace the food, orrrr--

Don’t

But in that case
I’m not giving you rent
And
Honestly
I can’t give you rent anyway
So I guess, you know, enjoy the pasta salad
On the second row
But leave me the beer
Because if I can’t be drunk
I might as well be dead

I know the beer is yours
But I already had some
And I can’t afford to replace it
But I’ll drive a hammer
Into your skull later if you want
Because I know you’re depressed
And you’re sick of adjusting the meds
So if you just want me to end it all for you
I can do that

I’ve always thought that I didn’t have the courage for suicide
But homicide always seemed like an eventuality for me

I’ll let you talk about Greg
And how you’re going to get married
And how when you do
You’re going to buy a house
Which means you’ll move out
Which means I’ll have to move out
Because I can’t get another roommate
Because change terrifies me
So I’ll regress
I’ll move back in with my aunt
Because my mother can go fuck herself
And I’ll take that job at the doll marketing firm
Which, yes, is a fucking thing
And my cousin runs it
And he hates me
Because I don’t have a lazy fucking eye like he does
And I fucked him girlfriend once
And he’s never gotten over it
But
But
But

I can’t give you rent

Not this month
Not next month
Not the month after that

But you can’t kick me out
Because I need to be here
Because I am implanted here
I am present here

I am on this couch
And and and
Sometimes I’m in my bed
But that’s it

Even the shower depresses me
The kitchen sink depresses me
The depressing little mat in the hallway
In front of the neighbor’s door
That says ‘Have a great day’
Makes me want to slit my fucking throat

So…

You have to leave me here

You have to leave me here
And go out
And have fun
And do things
And then come home
And tell me
If you can handle rent
Because I can’t handle it

I can’t
And I can’t anymore
And I
And I
And I…

I can’t handle anything

Anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment