Sunday, April 19, 2020

When We Have Your Wedding

Dearest Lucinda,

I know how disappointed you are
To have to cancel your wedding
This summer

Your father and I were sooo looking forward
To planning
And paying for
A wedding I know you’ve been dreaming about
Ever since you were a little girl

Of course
Back when you were a little girl
Everything cost...so much less

Hahaha...ohhh boy

When I think of how much my wedding
Cost your grandparents
It’s just amazing to me
That we had such a happy day
Without spending--really very much at all

You know, I’m just spitballing here
But maybe
Since we have to reschedule anyway
We could think about
Some of the things you’re spending money on
And see if they’re, you know, really necessary

After this is all over
We’re all going to want to appreciate
The important things in life, right?

And what’s important
Is that you and Kirk
And your immediate, immediate family
Get to have a nice day together

I know how badly you want to invite
Everyone you and Kirk have ever met
And I know that releasing endangered birds into the air
Is very fashionable right now

And I know that you really, really want the wedding
To be officiated by Anne Hathaway
But, oh boy, she does not come cheap, Lucinda
She is one pricey officiant

I could probably pay her less to act!

Hahahaha isn’t that funny?

I think, once we pick a new date
And again--I’m so upset that we have to

It gives me absolutely no pleasure
To note that we hadn’t paid
For the birds or Anne
Or the wedding band yet

By the way, are you sure
You want No Doubt
And not a No Doubt cover band?

Would you really be able
To tell the difference?

There are some very convincing
Gwen Stefani impersonators working today

The point is--since your father and I
Haven’t put down on any deposits yet
Maybe we could think about...scaling back?

Just a little bit?

You are going to look
So beautiful in that wedding dress
That costs more than my first three cars

And you’re going to have so much
On your bachelorette party to Fiji

I thought three weeks seemed a little excessive
When most bachelorette parties are a weekend
But hey, what do I know?

Besides, your bridesmaids are paying for that one
So you spend as much as you want, sweetie

I just know that all this craziness
Has made me realize that
The best parts of life
Aren’t the parts with lots of fanfare

Every night I sit down on the couch
With your father
And we watch a movie
Or something on television
Or just cuddle up next to each other
Without feeling like
We need to say anything at all

And that’s because just having each other
In a world that can feel so lonely and isolated
Is something I’ve never appreciated as much
As I do now

And it doesn’t matter
That my wedding reception
Was at a Bugaboo Creek’s

Or that your uncle
Tried making out
With the talking moose

Or that my wedding dress
Was my older sister’s prom dress
And it still smelled like Schnapps

All that matters is that I wound up
With the person I loved most in the world

And I know you feel...mostly the same way
About Kirk

So think about what you value
Cut it in half
And that’s how much we’re going to spend
On your wedding

I would have wrote this all down in an email
But I just learned how to unmute myself
And I know you have a hard time hearing tone
In the written word

I love you, sweetie

You’re going to be such a gorgeous bride

And hopefully by then
No Doubt won’t be quite

As expensive

No comments:

Post a Comment