Saturday, December 22, 2012

Maybe We've Lived Here Too Long

She used to work here
And I used to work there
And that was our good standing

Left on a ledge
In the middle of a Fall
19-ninety-something

What do I remember?
Why is that so hard to ask?

I'm convinced I know it all
But my heart's so big
And my life's so small

Things get lost
Things get lost

All I know is who moved where last year
And who broke up
And who got caught

Who turned forty
Who died young

All the people
I don't talk to anymore

Maybe we've lived here too long
When nostalgia's our only blanket

Maybe we're too damn sentimental
When we cry at funny movies

'Cause this one reminds us of this one
Reminds us of this one
Reminds us of that one
Reminds me of this one

Fire escapes were patios
And packing crates were sofas

A lot of broke folks
And knock knock jokes

Then along came cold December

Oh I'm sorry you can't live here
Nobody's lived here for a million years

You gotta go
I don't know where

Where do we keep the young these days?
In a glass half full
Or a broken maze?

I remember when
Time would fix us

I remember when
Time could heal things

I remember when
Give it six months
And it'll go away
And nothing else will happen

Nothing else will happen

You can stay in stasis mode
Watch your tv
Eat mac and cheese
Mom and Dad'll take care of me

Your favorite show has
Pretty people

The angst was all that you could take
Your bed was all that you could make

You caved and left for
San Francisco

Maybe we're just old...
     Shoulda got cancelled awhile ago
Maybe we can't see...
     Our parents said the same damn thing themselves
Maybe  we can't stay...
    Much as we want to, much as we want to

I miss my old corduroy overalls
And my stupid job
And my favorite girls

The down-the-street kind
That'd always visit

Maybe we're fine
Maybe we're tough
Maybe it's right to stick it out

Or maybe we've lived here
Too long

No comments:

Post a Comment