Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Clothes on the Line

She better come home
She’s got clothes on the line

Food in the pantry
Food in the fridge

Dog keeps barking
Kids are crying

I’m sittin’ here trying to drink my beer
Clothes on the line
Whippin’ in the wind
Storm could be comin’
And she don’t even care

She’s probably runnin’ around
With no shoes
Hair down
Dancin’ at that spot in town
Where all the soldiers go

Her old beau came back
From Korea yesterday
Lost an eye
And half his mind
Try dancin’ with someone like that

The sleeve on a shirt on the line
Comes up and waves at me
Through the window
From the yard

I wave back
Because why not?

The kids are in their rooms
Freshly spanked for making noise
Put to bed without the supper
That their mother didn’t make

I should take the clothes off the line
But that ain’t my job
My job is my job
Putting in furnaces
Six days a week

The yellow dress she wore
With the red stain near the bottom
Flies up in the air
And tugs at the line

She never could that red stain out
But she wouldn’t trash the dress
Must mean something to her
That I don’t know about

There’s lots of things
She keeps in her pockets
And buttons up tight
So I can’t get to ‘em

Nights in the field
Notes passed in school
Whispers at our wedding
Stains on yellow dresses
That look like blood

A sock flies off the line
Towards a watermelon sky

I should go out there
And take the rest down
But right after I’d do that
I’d head into town
And make a scene at a bar
Have everybody say how mean I am
What a bad man

And how she shoulda married
That one-eyed bastard
And been a caretaker her whole life
Instead of just having to cook a few dinners
Wash a few dishes
Take a few shirts in from outside

A pin comes off the yellow dress
The wind wants to claim it
As its own

That gets me off my ass
And out the back door
But just as I reach the line
The other pin comes off
And the dress goes running after the sock

I reach for it
And catch the end of it
Where the red stain is

I should be stronger than the wind
But the wind begs to differ

It yanks me up and out
And before I can think about it
I let go and watch her favorite dress
Disappear in air and temperature

Serves her right, I tell myself
But does it?

Feels like it might serve me right instead

I go back inside
Crack open another beer
And listen to the wind pick up
A few more things
Before it leaves for good

The front door sits unlocked
Ready for somebody to come inside

I’ll just be here, I think
My breath going bad

I’ll be waiting
Right here

No comments:

Post a Comment