Monday, July 27, 2015

Romance in Peacetime

Away from the falling candles
Away from the lucky glass
Away from the wine-soaked tablecloths
And the bad news
And the blasts

There we sit on empty dance floors
With the music in our minds
Left of center
Left alone
To be uncertain of ourselves

Now the sunset comes too early
And the sunrise, not at all
We believe in first impressions
Second chances
And third strikes

I have on my old tuxedo
And you wear your party dress
Life’s a dance we never learned
Love’s a trip we never took
Happiness is, well, happiness

A bird calls out
A whippoorwill
A nightjar
At least, that’s what I think it is

Ghosts make more noise than you think
Blessed footsteps
Creaking wood

Are we here or are we not?
Who’s to say?
Why make a fuss?

Lift me up
Onto my feet
I want to try out
These new toes

Is that wind around my hair
Or just the hope of it?

I ply my leg
I pull it back
You sit so softly
Like a child at storytime

I dance for you
You clap for me
I stop
You stare
I drop
You crawl

Around us, wars are ending
And when they’re done
Who will we be?

We’ve had no romance in peacetime
We were built on bombs
And soda walls

Carbonated friction
Caffeinated lives
Living to our own devices
Listening to hearts louder
Than the dead

Won’t we be boring
When all this is over?

Won’t we be heavy
And hearty
And sad?

Like everybody else
That never learned to dance

A dream within a dream
A break within a song
A bird without its voice
A romance without candles

Without perfume, passion, or pursuit

You smother me
And smother me
And smooth me out
So nobody will notice

But it’s too late, you see

It’s much too late
To start another war

No comments:

Post a Comment