Thursday, July 30, 2015

You're Gonna Be the One That Saves Me

Your bathing suit reminds me not to stare
And I appreciate your broken tone
We shake hands like we’re telling a joke
And I silently say your name to myself

I’m two miles down a one-mile well
Deeper than anybody thought I could go
I sent back the bucket with a note that said ‘I’m fine’
And floated on the top like a brand new penny

Then along comes this oasis
In my self-imposed desert
And briskly I’m reminded
That I never learned to swim

You’re not flow-y like the poems say
Or flowery, or sunny
Nothing about you says nature
Or earthy, or natural, or free

But you have to get close to get close
And that reminds me of me

You don’t inspire me to write
You inspire me to not write

Half the rockets in the sky
And you picked mine
To bring back down

I hear 90’s radio
And shut my eyes
Knowing I was stuck in ‘91
And here comes ‘96

I want to get up and dance
But I’m too drunk to move
Clicking my tongue
Tapping my feet
Cool windshield for a pillow
Rolling engine as a bed

You know I’m gonna be a project
But you love me anyway
Not right way, but you see it coming
Like a big wave at a little boat

You’re gonna tile me
And teach me
Root canal me
And reach me

They’re gonna write about us
But we won’t be writing
We’ll be too busy living
Giving ‘em something to write about

I’m going to drown
And dizzy
And burn out
And lose
And lose again
And give you something
To work with

You’re gonna say you’ll never leave
And I’m gonna change your mind
But you’ll stay anyway
Past your friends’ objections
Your parents’ ultimatums
And your own common sense

You get up on the hood with me
And we say…nothing

Frogs jump by but you don’t kiss ‘em
Boys drive by and honk their horn
You put your head next to mine
And whisper promises you’re not sure you can keep

And I peg you for what you are
There and then
My sword on your shoulder
The stone of your lips

You’re gonna be the one that saves me, I say

And you say—We’ll see

You won’t believe me
Until you’ve done it

Until I’m saved
And you’ve done the saving

I’m the thing you thought you’d never do
And you did a good job

I’ve had a lot of people love me
So that’s nothing new
But nothing compares
To being saved my you

No comments:

Post a Comment