Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Several Noteworthy Atrocities

We didn’t have the Annual Harvest Festival
Because of the marauders


Packs of them scaled the castle walls
And kidnapped three
Out of our four princesses
And one of the princes
Although he seemed to go willingly
And someone even claimed to hear him yell--


‘Yippee!  I’m a marauder now!’


As the savages
Were vacating
The kingdom


The tragedy rang so high and loud
That a celebration seemed inappropriate
And so we did not rejoice
Not even a bit


The Silver Ceremony was cancelled
When the Queen died suddenly
Of a mysterious illness
Shortly after she finished eating
A wild boar--uncooked


Her Majesty always did have
Odd dietary habits
But this one might have finally
Done her in


Despite her quirks
She was a beloved monarch
And so it was decided
That all events relating
To the Silver Nights
Would be indefinitely postponed


We did not rejoice
Not even a bit


The New Year festivities
Had to be gotten rid of
When the plague hit


And the Lovers Long Day
Was erased
Due to the second plague


We have plagues
Every few weeks now
And they always seem to arrive
At the most unreasonable time


...Not that there’s a reason time for a plague, but…


Why is it on days we mark for sun
We get rain
Calendars with ‘Joy’ written in
Find themselves stained with grief instead


Perhaps it is the lord’s way
Of reminding us
That we are not in control
Of time or destiny


We cannot say it should be one way
Because of this or that remarkable moment
We have chosen to celebrate


Perhaps it is meant to teach us
That we should celebrate when we can
And not work up to it
Or wait for time to tell us
When it’s ready


When my wife died
A few days
Before my little daughter’s birthday
My daughter told me
She would never want
To have a birthday again


I told her that her mother
Would be very cross
To hear her say that


‘All right,’ she said, ‘But no birthday this year’


I sat her on my knee
And told her
That if we let life’s arrows
Stop us
From living
We shall never live


That tragedies happen every day
To someone
Whether we know it or not
And that if we wish to thank the world
For its harvest
We should do so
And not worry about the clouds
Coming in
Or the cough that won’t go away


‘My daughter,’ I said, ‘The world will not always be a friend walking beside you.  Sometimes it will be a man with a sword. Sometimes an unfed dog. Sometimes a jester.  Sometimes a lover who breaks your heart. It will sometimes be a place to explore and examine, and other times, it will be a place to survive in.  These are surviving times. And in surviving times, it’s not appropriate to let go of opportunities for mirth because of several noteworthy atrocities.  In fact, it’s the last way to live. To surrender. Now, what sort of cake would you like? We have pig’s blood to turn the frosting red and the goats should be all right to milk provided their udders aren’t still green.’


While my little girl checked on the livestock
I said a prayer of thanks
To my late wife
To guiding my wisdom
While speaking to our child

Then I made a quick note in my ledger
To go see the village doctor
About that spot on my back


After the birthday party, I told myself

It can wait until then

No comments:

Post a Comment