Monday, June 25, 2018

Somebody Else's Kind of Sad

Somebody else
Gave me a block of sadness
And told me to live with it

Here you go—

Up onto my plate

Take this
And swallow it down

Ten times the tears
Full up the bucket
And away we go

You get small
You get big
You forget yourself

You forget
A lot of things

Cold hard street
Sidewalk chalk
And a post office box
With no mail in it

You might think
I’m going to be
Park bench surfing
For the rest of my life

But the rest
Ain’t much of a rest
No matter how many pillows
You put on the bench

See, someone like me
I get affected
By the attitudes
Around me

That’s how I wound up
Two brown jackets
And a hat made out of paper

That’s how come
People think
I should be
Locked away

That’s how come
I’m smart
But savage

Dusty and dirty
And divine
Like the good Christ said—

He was a dirty
Motherfucker too
You know

No matter how many halos
They go putting
Around his head

See, a long time ago
I got somebody else’s sadness
Somebody else's
Kind of sad

And I fell down faster
Than the Panama Bridge

Saw so much sky
I almost didn’t get up

You ever hear of a man
Drowning
In his own clouds?

That was me

I was the Ocean King
I was the Saturn Prince
I was the Duke of the Everlasting Universe

And that was a-okay
For today
And every day

But you know…

The pit you get used to
In your chest
Is only accommodated
By your psyche

Not your heart

Not the things in you
That search for space
And love
And understanding

A heart takes up a lot of room
Almost as much as breath

And when you got
That sadness in you
That doesn’t belong

That your soul
Seeks to reject

The bile won’t break down
And the gut won’t ungutter
And the beating blood
That makes you up
Runs dry

And your only choice
Is to take what you’ve been given
And give it
To somebody else

. . . . .

And I wouldn’t do that

So I’ll keep laying on my benches
Sheltering myself
Against the black and gold waves

Hoping it all lifts off me

Thinking I used to be happy
Thinking I used to tell myself jokes
Thinking I never had
To remember
To smile

I just had to remember
To be

And all that
Was enough

No comments:

Post a Comment