Friday, June 15, 2018

Everything But the Rain

For three days
It looked like
It was going to storm

And you know what we got?

Everything but the rain

Had twelve men out there
Working ‘round the clock
Using up all my money
Because of what the guy
On the radio said

Twelve men
And not a drop of rain

What do you expect me
To say to all that?

The fact is—

The way you work the land?

It’s temporary

It gives you a little bit
And then it waits a few years
And takes what it gave you
Plus interest

The land is a shark
Just like the guys
My father used to gamble with

You don’t win

You just get put on a leash
And left to your devices

People look at me
And think they could have done better

A more educated man
Would have had it
All figured out

I know that’s what on
Their mind

But there’s no books
That talk about three days
Of black clouds
And low thunder
That turn around into nothing

They don’t teach you
How to parse what the weather man says
When he’s telling you
It’s going to come down
Like rivers

Your father’s lying in bed
Hooked up to machines
He can’t afford to have
And can’t afford not to
And he tells you
Which men to hire
Because it’s gonna rain

Even dying men
Don’t come
With wisdom anymore

I sit out on that porch
And I wait for it to rain

The wind kicks up
The trees shudder
But nothing

Just the promise
Of a nightmare

When I step off the porch
And spit towards the house
I notice the window to my dad’s room
Covered up with a black curtain

Mom must have done that
In the days since it happened

See, Dad didn’t live to see the rain
But he thought he was coming
He was sure of it

And if he knew
It never did
His soul would be lost somewhere
Even the lord wouldn’t be able to fetch it

So I try my damndest
To get a rain going

I call in the twelve men
From the field
And together we form a circle
Right outside that room
Where his body became a body
And nothing else

The black clouds separate
The thunder moves off
To some other unlucky bastard’s homestead

But I stand there

And one by one
Those twelve men
Go back to what they’re doing

One or two just go home

I’m not moving though

Not until I get my rain

The sun puts itself to bed
The crickets find their way
To the silence

A dog gives birth to a litter
And only two
Are going to survive

Out of the corner of my eye
I see lightning

Just a flash—but enough

Enough to keep me standing there

Enough to get
What was promised
To me

No comments:

Post a Comment