Monday, June 11, 2018

With the Windows Rolled Down

I just want to love you
With the windows rolled down

Nobody ever parks anymore
Nobody ever wants to just--

Probably because in movies
People are always getting murdered
While they’re making out in a car

But here--

Here’s Paradise

Tucked away behind a mountain
Right at the base of the sea

With just enough asphalt
To make you remember civilization

Enough to put down four wheels
And leave it in park

I want to put my arm around you

I want the leather interior
To stick to my skin

I want songs from 1997
To change the air around us

We’ll never have a time machine
Because if we ever did
We’d already be using it

Going back so we don’t need songs
To make us feel younger than we really are

But without a time machine
We’ll have to use the music

And the rolled down windows
And the snacks I keep
In my backseat

I want to love you
Like we’re thirty years
Ahead of ourselves

Old and married
And dying next to each other

I want to see how long it takes
Before our hair smells like the waves

And I guess…

I guess at some point
We’ll have to see
What’s on the other side
Of the mountain

But I bet there’s cities
And city blocks
And small apartments
With reasonable rent
And no air conditioning

I’m not sure who I’d be
Mixed up in all that

Here, I know what I am

I’m somebody with a beat-up car
And a beat-up life

Getting lungfuls of ocean breath
And sand so light
It might as well be dust

I’d love dinner out here
Sitting around a fire
Covered up in blanket
I keep in the trunk

Asleep before you know you’re asleep
Satisfied before you know you’re satisfied
Older before you want to be older
In love and suspended

Between rock and water
Between four wheels
And a hundred thousand miles
Of restlessness

With the windows rolled down
I can hear something far off

Somebody laughing
Somebody playing a guitar
Somebody telling something
To somebody else

I want to hear
What they have to say

But for some reason
I turn up the radio

The radio

God, when was the last time
You listened to the radio?

Songs, songs, songs

And we know half the words
And all of the music

I hear you singing along
Under your breath
With your eyes closed
Like you’re casting a spell

I close my eyes too

The music gets louder
The waves get softer

The asphalt melts away
Into the sand

And the air is a time machine

It’s a chance to go back
To go somewhere

But who knows…

Who knows where?

No comments:

Post a Comment