Sunday, June 10, 2018

Your Last Name

I don’t have a problem
With your last name

Like, however you get in the door
It’s like--

Good for you

I’m not judging you for it

We all gotta do
What we gotta do

But you’re up there, like--

Oh, I’m up here
Because of my talent

When it’s like--

No, you’re not

You’re not

You’re up there
Because of your name

Because you walk into an audition
And they look at your name
And they’re like--

Oh, he’s so-and-so’s son

Oh, maybe if we put him in the show
So-and-so will come see it
And then we’ll have so-and-so at our theater
And, like, our donors and our board members
Can take pictures with them
And oh my god
Won’t that be--

I mean, just admit it

Admit that if you really wanted to get anything
Because of your talent
You’d change your fucking name

You’d get a new last name
And you’d never bring up
Who your Dad is
And then you’d see
How talented you are

Because I’m not saying
You’re not talented

I’m definitely not saying that

Nobody is saying that

What I’m saying is--

There are people
Much more talented than you
Much more talented
Than all of us

But they don’t have--

Your last name

There are people
Who walk into an audition room
Every day

With nothing but their talent

And there are people
With last names like yours
Who decide they’d rather not
You know, publicize that
Because they want to walk into those rooms
With nothing but their talent

So feel bad
Or don’t feel bad

But don’t pretend
That you’re bigger
Than your name

It’s nothing to be
Ashamed of

But it’s not something
You can just
Deny

Look…

We all have to do
What we have to do

I…

I’ve done stuff
Everybody--

So it’s not about, you know
Me respecting you
Or not respecting you

It’s about the faces
Of all those people
Who would love to say
That they would never
Give somebody something
Because of who their dad is

Who justify it
By saying
You deserve it

They’re the people
I’m pissed at

They’re the people
Who should, you know
Just once
Have somebody like you
Walk in front of them
And say--

Sorry, but--

We know who your Dad is, but--

No

But they don’t
They won’t
They never do

And you know that
I know you know that

And if you’re okay with it, then--

Great

But don’t act like
You don’t know

Don’t act like you’re the only one

Who doesn’t

No comments:

Post a Comment