Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Inheritance

Twenty bucks
If you know where he went

I don’t care what the news is
I don’t care about breaking updates

All I need is a location
And I’ll be out of your hair

You think I have a mom
To go looking for him?

You think we got a dad
Who gives a shit
About which way he went

All he has is me
And I have is him
And so I’m not going anywhere
Because I’m about at my quota
For shit I lost to the fire
So you better get on that phone
And find out where my brother is
And what he’s doing for you

Because if you got him running again
Then you’re going to need to go running

I got that boy to ninth grade
Like a sherpa up a mountain
And I’m not feeling like a landslide
So you better be on the up and up with him

You came around
Talking about mentorship
And upward mobility

And, truth be told,
I didn’t believe a word
That came out of your mouth
But I needed a damn break
So I crossed my fingers
And handed you the keys

Here’s my brother, I said

And you remember
What I said after that?

Keep an eye on him

Now I’m looking
At both your eyes
And neither one
Is on my little brother

So what are we going to do about that?

You have failed your directive

You have let
Me
Down

And I was already so low
When your sorry ass came around
That I don’t have any lower to go

And that’s bad news
For you

Because I have one thing
Left to take care of
And he’s got a goofy smile
My mother’s laugh
And my father’s bad luck

He’s my inheritance
You understand that?

He was left to me

So I might not look
All that grown up
But trust it--

I got years in me
You’re never
Gonna live

You sit here on your ratty couch
Having women bring you news of the day
And you think
You’re a man of the world

But I’ve seen men like you before
And now that I got the whole picture
I realize I should never have put
Those keys in your hand

So if anything happens
To my brother
I’m going to have to take
Whatever fault
Comes from
Petting a wolf

But when my grief over that is done
I’m coming back here
And you and I
Are going to do the business
You don’t want to do

I know sidewalk language
I know chalk drawings
I know yellow tape

And I bet you only think you do

What you do
You send others out
To handle

I handle my shit
Myself

That’s why I’m here
Handling it

So get up off that couch
And go make yourself useful

Find my brother

Because until you do
I’m your inheritance

Everybody’s gotta have somebody
Driving them crazy

Everybody’s got somebody
That somebody else

Gave to ‘em

No comments:

Post a Comment