Monday, May 21, 2018

Lucky Me

He’s going to hit me up
When the money hits
And at that point
To be explicit
He can fuck off with it

He’s sitting at the table
With all his friends
Looking over at me
Like he’s waiting to see
When the dollar signs
Start popping up
Like cartoon dreamscapes
And frankly
I’m not all that invested
In having him tune in
To my dreamscapes

You know people like him?

People who hedge their bets

I hate that
I fucking hate
Hedge bet-ters

You want to bet on something
Bet on the underdog

Don’t you watch movies?
Don’t you like tv?
Don’t you see those montages
On ESPN
Where the inner city hockey team
Beats the Canadian Olympians?

People who want to sit with winners
Wind up sitting alone

Because winners take off on you
Winners find new friends
And new places to live
And new lives
They like taking photos of

And he’s not going to be in those photos
He’s not going to be making funny faces
And doing rabbit ears
While the assholes around him
Try to get their cheekbones in the frame
The way they like ‘em

And every few seconds
I get a glance
Because he wants to know
If I’m up to my jackpot

And you know what?

I’m close

I can feel it
And I’m close

But when it hits
I’m going to move tables

I’m going to slide down
So far away from him
And his popular complex
That he’ll think
I’m in another county

Another county
Another country
And another set of plans
That have nothing to do with him

I couldn’t stand it
When we were together

Him and his patch of friends
With their inside jokes
And their mannequin style

Just because I’m not enough for him
Doesn’t mean I’m not enough

I have more coming to me
Than he’s ever had
And I’d rather look forward to a surplus
Than surpass my best years
When I’m too damn stupid
To know they’re my best

I’d have loved to have taken him along
But you know--

Some people want to go the easy road
Even if it means
They gotta hitchhike

Even if it means
They can only ride along on it
On somebody else’s bus

I had so much room for him
Room I made
Room I set aside
So we could go riding together

But he didn’t want that

So instead I’m at it alone

And yeah, I’m looking forward
To the good fortune

But a fortune’s a lonely thing
If you don’t have someone
To be fortunate with

Afterwards it won’t matter
If I meet someone
Because they won’t know who I was
When things weren’t so good

They’ll only love Lucky Me
And I don’t even know
Who she is yet

But I bet she’s great

Fuck

I bet she’s a damn

Good time

No comments:

Post a Comment