Monday, May 14, 2018

Break a Sweat

I get on the court with her
And I’m supposed to be upset

Because I know what she said about me
How I’m raising my kid

So yeah, I want to fucking kill her
That’s what makes sense

But I haven’t slept in two days
Thinking about this match

Thinking about…

And I shouldn’t have to
Walk over and shake her hand
And pretend I’m not pissed about
What I’m pissed about

This whole good sportsmanship thing is nice
But I don’t see it as being necessary

The boys get mad at each other
All the time
And people think it’s good for them

They think it fuels
The spirit
Of the competition

But when it’s me and some other, uh
Female athlete
They think we’re catty or something

They think it’s funny
It’s a joke

They don’t know
That I’d fucking kill that girl
And think nothing of it

I’d fucking rip her hands off
You know that?

You know how bad
I’d like to fucking hurt her?

I mean, really hurt her?

But we’ve got a game

We’ve got a game
And I’ve got something to prove

She has the audacity
To say I’m not a good mother?

That I don’t see my kid?

Do you know the shit I’ve done
For my kid?

Do you know what I was doing
Before I had all this going on?

I didn’t have some rich daddy
Getting me lessons
With some private tutor

I had to make my own way

And that meant doing
Some really fucked up shit

But now my kid has a swimming pool
She has a team of people
Who do nothing
But take care of her

She’s never going to know
A hard day for the rest of her life

The only hard days she’s going to have
Are the ones she remembers
From back when we didn’t have shit

And when she sees her mom on the court
She’s going to know
That you can get the shit kicked out of you
And you can still wind up all right

Better than all right

You can walk up to some bitch
Who doesn’t know you
And talks like she does
And say--

Fuck you, bitch

Then you can beat her ass
And that’s how you can say
What you wanna say
Without having
To put hands on her

You know what I mean?

And that’s being a good mother

That’s how you raise a kid

Maybe it’s not cookie-baking
And PTA shit
But it’s still got value

It still means something

I walk onto the court
And I know she’s got her stuff
And I’ve got my stuff
And we don’t need
To like each other

We just need to play

And maybe she’s got
Something she needs to prove too

That’s when you’ve got a match
On your hands

That’s when you know
You’re going to break

A sweat

No comments:

Post a Comment