Friday, May 4, 2018

The Projectionist

He’s a projectionist

He only dates people
That he can, like
Look at, and--

People--

People with no personalities

But, like, beyond that
Not just, no personality
Like, boring
No personality
But
No personality, like
Absent

Just very absent
Where they’re--

They’re--

They’re a canvas
They’re a blank canvas
With nothing on it

And so he meets them
And he dates them
And he just, uh, falls in love
With them

Because he can project

He can project onto them
Anything he wants to project

So, you know, he meets me
And, uh, I’m, like, the opposite
Of what he’s looking for

I’m the exact, uh, antithesis
Of what it is
He would typically
Fall in love with

And because, uh
Because that’s the case
Of course--

I fall in love with him

I fall in love with this guy
Who falls in love
With people who aren’t there

With the possibility
Of people
But not actual people

And I look at him
And I’m, like, all in
Right away

I’m just sold on him
And I don’t know why

And when you fall in love with someone
And you don’t know why
It’s--ugh, I mean
It’s a real fucking trip

And not, uh--

Yeah

And I tried--ugh
I’m ashamed--

I’m ashamed
To even talk about this
But--

I tried to, uh…

To erase myself

I tried to make myself
As blank as the people
He was typically, uh, into
And it’s--it’s painful

It’s painful to try
And wipe yourself out

And it’s also futile
Because you can’t do it

Trust me

I tried
And I tried hard
And I couldn’t do it

I couldn’t just take away
Everything
That makes me me

There was too much there

There was nothing--

There was no room, really
For him to, uh, paint on

You know, I was young
But I wasn’t--

I mean, I had lived
I had lived a life

And there was a certain amount of--

Like…

Take it or leave it, you know?

It’s there
Take it
Love it
Accept it

Because that’s what people are

They’re not blank canvases
They’re not empty, uh, whatever’s
They’re not blank slates

And you’re supposed to look at what’s there
And love it or not love it
But not--not ever
Expect it
Not to be there

Not wish for it
To not exist
And wish that you could, uh
You know, find somebody
That isn’t there

That’s--

That’s not how it’s supposed to work

That’s--

That’s not you’re supposed

To fall in love

No comments:

Post a Comment