Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Jewelry for the Other Woman

This is not the bracelet
He would have bought his wife

There’s a special kind of jewelry you get
When you’re the other woman

It’s a little bolder
A little flashier

Something that makes them feel a certain way buying it
The same way it’s supposed to make you feel
Wearing it

But the two feelings
Never really identify

You can wear the jewelry
Around the guy
But usually it’s not something
You’d wear
Anywhere else

I have these earrings
That are--

Well, it’s kind of amazing, actually
That something can cost so much
And still be so ugly

I guess it’s the thought that counts
If the thought wasn’t--

I’m so happy
I’m having an affair with you

I have this necklace
That just screams--

I’m so glad you’re not my wife

I should be offended
I should--

Want more

Than this

But the truth is--

I don’t

At least, I think I don’t

It’s hard to know

The jewelry is blinding
In that special way
Only really tacky gifts can be
So maybe it just gets in your eyes
Like smoke, you know?

I put on what he gives me
And I feel like a Russian empress

You know, one of the ones
They executed?

Sometimes I put it all on
Every single one
The bracelets, the rings
The tiara--

Yes, he got me a tiara
Do you believe it?

I put it all on
And I just lay in bed
Wondering what the hell
I’m supposed to do with my life

I’ll be there on my cheap sheets
In my tiny apartment
Wearing thousands of dollars of jewelry
And I’ll know that if I made one phone call
I could change my entire situation

Would he leave her for me?

He would

He wouldn’t want to
But he would

And then I’d become the wife
She’d become the ex-wife
And some poor girl who’s probably not eighteen yet
Would, in a few short years, become the other woman

To be honest with you,
It’s not the moral morass
That stops me
From upgrading
My surroundings

It’s that men have affairs
With young and beautiful women

That’s what we’ve all agreed on, right?

So if I’m the other woman
That means I’m young
And beautiful
And lively
And young
And...and…

And it doesn’t matter
That I’m nobody’s wife
Because I’m something better
Or at least more interesting

I’m the one
Who gets the fancy jewelry
And doesn’t get to wear it
Because when I do
I feel like I’m suffocating
Under the weight of it

That’s why I put all of it on at once

To see if it can smother me

It never does, not really, but…

But I can’t leave it on for too long
Before I desperately want to take it off

As soon as he leaves
Or drops me off
I remove every piece of it

I unclasp
I undo
I moisturize my skin
Wherever the infidelity accessories touched me

Then I wonder
What he buys his wife

I wonder what he gives her
If he gives her
Anything

At all

No comments:

Post a Comment