Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Visitor

Your sister is going to come here
And for a week
We have to play entertainers

And I don’t want to do that

That’s why I’m just saying--

If she moves
Let her move
But I don’t see why
We have to act like
This is a life choice
And not just, you know
Another facet of her personality
Manifesting itself

This is just her way of being like--

I’m going to do this big thing
And then everybody else
Has to accommodate me

I mean, she knows
We’re never going to go visit her, right?

Why would we go all the way to Sacramento
When she’s going to be living in some apartment
With some girl she met on Twitter
Which means we’d have to sleep on the couch
If there even is a couch
And if there is
She’s probably sleeping on it
Because I bet this is a one-bedroom

I would bet my life on it

And can you see her playing tour guide?
Showing us around?

Rearranging her schedule
Because we’re stopping by
For a week?

No

She wouldn’t do that
And she knows
That we know
She wouldn’t do that

So we’re not going to visit her
And she’s going to do the twice-a-year thing
Twice a year and maybe holidays

And that means
She’s going to come here
And we’re going to have to take a week off work
And take her out to restaurants
And listen to her yammer on
About her life
And what Sacramento is like
And who she’s dating
And why it’s not working out
And who she’d like to be dating instead
And maybe
Maybe
She’ll bring one of these guys to visit with her
And that’ll be even worse for us
Because then we’ll have to pretend
We think whoever this guy is could be the one
When we fully fucking know it’s not

And it’s--you know--it’s a dance

It’s a dance, Jen
And it’s a dance
I don’t really feel like doing

You know, people do this

They disappear to wherever
And then when they pop back up
They expect you to just drop everything
And focus on them
For as long as they’re around
Out of some feeling that, like
Life is short
And you need to savor moments with people
Even people who have made the decision
That you’re not worth
Sticking around for

And I don’t get that
I really don’t

When my brother comes by
Does he ever ask one question
One fucking question
About what’s going on with us?

Our fucking marriage was falling apart
The last time he came to visit
And he couldn’t even tell
Because all he wanted to talk about
Was his fucking vineyard
And how great everything was going
And when were we going to come visit
When us visiting would be, like--

The last fucking thing
He or you or I
Would want to do
Right?

Right

I don’t want to visit
I don’t want anyone else to visit
I want to interact with the people who are here
And the people who aren’t here
Can send me messages online
About whatever the hell is going on with them
And I will answer those messages in a timely manner
And it will not disrupt
My entire
Fucking
Existence

Does that sound okay?

Does that sound okay to you?

I’m sorry, but--

Fuck your sister

Fuck her

She does not get--

She does not--

She does not get to be
A visitor

No

No
No
No

I’m sorry, but--

No

I’m...I’m…

I’m…

...Just…

We’re doing good now, and…

And…

No

No comments:

Post a Comment