Monday, May 21, 2018

Not a Bad Place to Be

Here you are in a hotel
And you’re not happy

Just think about that

Staying in a nice hotel
And miserable as fuck

What a thing to be
And a place to be it in

Why don’t you take a few more photos
Of yourself
Eating scrambled eggs in your underwear
Acting like life is grand

Sweetie, when life is grand
It does not require
Documentation

Now I appreciate the invite
But this is--

Well, it’s got the look of something
That’s supposed to make you happy
But it doesn’t have the feel of it

I was at my sister’s barbecue
Earlier today
And she’s broke as fuck
But man, did we have fun

That?

That had a good vibe to it
A positive energy

This?

This is depressing
I’m depressed

You’re sitting on that bed
Acting like a come hither
And the progression
Has us careening
Towards sex
And still
There’s the prevailing air
Of death
All over this damn room

Because you are unsure
Of your footing
And even with that six pack
Uncertainty is unsexy

I’m sorry

I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry

But you could’ve figured that out
Even without me standing here
Without pants on
Looking fine as fuck
And totally disinterested

You gotta go out into that night
Into that city
Full of virgins looking to lose it
And people lining up
To show ‘em how

You gotta zoom in on life
And not zoom out

At that barbecue today
There were at least five seven-year-old’s
Who were running around
Jumping over the sprinklers
Screaming about it
Then jumping back again

Those kids, man--

They’re years away
From ever going to the coolest club
Or a good bar
Or even a halfway decent party
That doesn’t have a fucking clown at it

But they were having a time

They weren’t thinking about anything
But that sprinkler
And that backyard
And the four hot dogs they were going to eat
And puke up from exerting themselves too much

There’s no next for them
There’s no better
There’s no what else is there?

They’re not trying to feel something
They’re just feeling it

It’s…

It was something to watch

But you can’t watch six-year-old’s for that long
Without getting put on a list
So I said my good-bye’s
Finished getting drunk at a nearby Chili’s
And then came here

And I’m not mad about being here
It doesn’t bother me
But, you know--

It doesn’t exactly thrill me either

Because we’re just two people
Trying to find a sprinkler to jump in, right?

We’re just trying to have something
We didn’t know we had when we had it

And maybe that’s the thing about it

Maybe if you ever know you’re happy
You stop being happy
The minute you know it

Maybe the best we can hope for
Is room service
While we think about the times
We’re not in anymore

Not happy
But waiting on it
To come back around again

That’s not so bad, right?

Not a…

Not a terrible place

To be

No comments:

Post a Comment