Sunday, May 6, 2018

Cast a Shadow

You know, the thing about your sister was--

Well, you know
She was willful

She was very set, and uh--

Determined

She was very determined

To do things
The way she wanted to do them

And, uh, I knew
I had to be very careful
When dealing with her
Because I didn’t want to give her ammunition
For, uh, rebelling
You know?

So when she did something
I didn’t like
I would just--

Well, you know, raising kids
Certainly teaches you a lot
About how to live your life

Your whole life
Not just the part
That parents

And what I learned
From dealing with your sister
And sometimes you
Sometimes your father even
Is that it’s very important
When dealing with people
To cast a shadow

To cast as large a shadow
As you can

Now

Some people--

Like the crackpot therapist
Your father made us see
After his third infidelity

--Want to attach a negative connotation to that

The idea of being someone
Who makes another person
Feel cold
And unloved

But the truth is
There are only so many ways
To express displeasure
With someone

And what are your options, right?

Screaming?
Yelling?
Cursing out?

You had friends with mothers
Who behaved that way
When they’d miss curfew
Or get in trouble at school

Remember the Scott’s that lived next to us?

Your sister was friends with the twins
And when they got in trouble
Their mother would shout so loud
You could hear her from miles away

Nobody wants a mother like that

But the fact remains
That somehow
You have to let your children know
When they’ve messed up

So I cast a shadow

I got a little cold
So what?

What else was I supposed to do?

Did I ever lay a hand on you?
Did I ever nag you?
Did I ever even really ground you?

No

I just made it very, very clear
That I was not happy
With what you were doing

And if that felt a little bit like--

Like withholding love
Then, well--

That was what you girls
Brought to the table
Emotionally

That was what you took
From what I was doing

Because the truth is
Of course I still loved you

I would never stop loving
Either of you

But if you felt bad
Because I was ignoring you
And it made you
Change your behavior
Then, well--

Mission accomplished, right?

I mean, isn’t that what I was there for?

To teach you something?

To teach you
That when you mess up
People treat you differently

And that maybe people love you a little less--

Not me, not your parents
But people

Other people

Might not care about you as much
When you do things they don’t like

That feeling
That feeling in your gut
When someone you’re devoted to
Or, who you think is devoted to you
Turns their back to you?

That’s how you know
You’ve done something wrong
And that feeling
That gut feeling
Is the reason
You’ll never do it again

You learn in the shadows, sweetheart

That’s where you figure out
How to act

That’s
Where you

Grow up

No comments:

Post a Comment