Sunday, May 20, 2018

Are We Pretending We Don't Know That?

They wanted a whole marketing campaign
And I was--


I can’t say ‘No’
Because I’m in the office
Twelve hours a day
So I gotta be doing something
But that whole pitch was--


It was gobbledy gook, you know?
It was nonsense


I just spit out
Whatever was first in my--


It was like stream of consciousness advertising
Like shit you’d see on Mad Men
If Mad Men were the least sexiest thing ever


And they were impressed
But, like, they wanted to see results


They wanted to know
How this was going to impact that


And how that
Was going to trickle down
To this


Those fuckers
Did their homework
Which was really
Fucking annoying
To tell you the truth


Advertising is perception
You want proof of perception?

How the fuck am I supposed to--


You know, I’ll tell you something


The clients are too damn smart
And they’re getting smarter


And our industry?

Our industry is not accounting
For how savvy these fuckers
Are getting


It is not--our industry is not
Taking it
Into consideration


They have a restaurant
And they’re sitting there
Asking me
Why nobody’s going to it


Jesus fucking Christ


I don’t know
Why nobody’s
Going to your restaurant


Nobody’s going anywhere anymore


I mean--are we all pretending we don’t know that?


People
Are not
Going out


That is just--


That is just a fact


And it’s our jobs
To make them go out?


I asked that once
At a meeting
I asked that very question
And my boss goes--


Well yeah, Chris
It is our job


As if it was the most obvious thing in the world
When really--


We’re not talking about--


Oh, put up a billboard here
And an ad in this magazine
And Bam!


You’re good to go


We’re not talking about that


We’re talking about a cultural tide
A shift in the way people, you know--


We’re talking about Netflix
And Hello Fresh!
And the other one--


What’s the other one?

Blue Apron!


That one, yeah


We’re talking about a society
That, for years, has been dreaming
Of living in that fucking apartment
From The Jetsons


Never leaving their house
Because they’d have everything they needed
Right there


And guess what, you guys?

We’re there


We’ve finally fucking landed there


In that future


With The Jetsons


And now I’m sitting in a meeting
And some restaurant chain is like--


How do we fix this?

How do we fix what?


The fact that civilization
Finally achieved its greatest dream
And that the dream was isolation?

Gee, I don’t fucking know


I don’t know how to fix that


Yeah, I get that it makes my job
Fucking null and void
But that doesn’t mean
I know what to do about it


So I put up a billboard
And take out an ad in a magazine
And like--

That’s it


That’s the best I got


You think you can do better?


Go for it


But until then
I’m going to sit on my ass for twelve hours
And wait for somebody to notice
That I’m a goddamn dinosaur
So they can stick me
In a museum

That’s it, you know?

That’s all I can do

No comments:

Post a Comment