Monday, May 6, 2019

Gruel

I was addressing the complaints
Of the orphans
And I take umbrage
With one in particular

The gruel is in no way unappetizing
In fact, it is delicious

It is hearty
It is aromatic
It is exquisite

I slave over it all morning
Adding spices
Adding herbs
Adding special ingredients
That I’ve accrued
From the West Indies

I present it to the children
And because their palates
Are not fully developed
They push it around with their spoon
And complain that it is not
To their liking

And you wonder
Why we lock them up
In tiny rooms
With no windows

A crime against gourmet food
Is a crime against humanity

To leave my gruel
Sitting on a plate--

Or worse
Even worse

--To gobble it up

To avoid savoring it
Letting it linger
In the mouth
Before allowing oneself
To ingest it
Is perhaps a far greater sin

But these little imps
Swallow it down
As if it were nothing more
Than a bowl of sugar water

Either they refuse to eat it
Or they gulp it
Thereby showing no appreciation
For all my hard work

Not a single one of them
Approaches me to ask
If they detect a hint of rosemary
Or a peck of dried sage

None of them inquire
As to what that smokey element might be
Or the delightful
Lightly sweet aftertaste

Yesterday I saw one of the little devils
Dipping bread in it
As though it were nothing more
Than creamed butter

I could barely stop myself
From throwing him
Out the nearest window

They bang and clang
With their horrid little spoons
And when they’re done
They ask me if one day
We might have a bit of cake

Cake

The spongy dumbshow
Of the culinary world

Nothing subtle
No nuance

Just yeast and frosting
And they beg for it

Beg for it

Of all the positions I’ve held
Over the years
Chef at the orphanage
Has to be
The least satisfying to me
Professionally

I may as well just slit a cow’s throat
And let the throat-blood
Pour into a bowl
See if they like that any better

They have no taste
No taste at all

At night, I dream of cooking
For children with parents

With mothers and fathers
Who teach them
The ways of fine dining
And sensible creation

I see silverware
And napkins
And dinners that last for hours
While each little eater
Brings their food
Slowly to their mouths
And
As soon as they’ve finished
Looks up at me
And says--

Thank you

Oh, what a dream

What a splendid dream
Indeed

No comments:

Post a Comment