Friday, May 17, 2019

When the Weather's Nice

When the weather’s nice
I’ll find you a beach
We’ll take fourteen buses
And plant our feet

Nobody’s gonna move us
Nobody’s gonna make us
Go back to chalk

We can pack a lunch
We can pack a dinner
We can pack ourselves into
The cheapest car we can find
And drive if we want to

Don’t make me sit
Against the door
And listen to you cry

I just need you
To think about
Better weather

I just need you
To think about
When it’s nice

No way to be happy
Holed up
Across from gunshots
But even when the place is quiet
It’s too quiet
And I don’t know what’s worse

I don’t know
How to beg back
The things
That make you
Feel good

Two feet under a comforter
Fan on you
Windows open
And you scream
And you scream
And you scream

And I just want you
To close your eyes
And wake up
When it’s brighter out

We can walk
I looked
It’s only twelve miles

We can do twelve miles
Can’t we?

Go for a nice walk
And walk away
Walk away
From what feels like
A cage

Think about going
In a straight line
And seeing one life
Fall behind you
While the ocean
Gets bigger
And bigger
In front

I’ll put down a blanket
I’ll put up an umbrella
I’ll put the biggest
Smile on my face

Get a tan
Go for a swim
Eat a sandwich
While kids run past us

How much more
Can you look
Forward to, right?

All when the weather’s nice

Don’t make scratch
The door like a cat

You get quiet
And I freak out
Then you walk out
And calm me down
Just so you
Can get worked up again

I don’t want to be
Like that anymore

Maybe say
Forget twelve miles

Think about
Twelve hundred instead

Let’s walk somewhere
Where it’s always nice

Down near
Where your sister
Used to live

Florida keys
Or that place
She had
Near Baton Rouge

I’d like to live somewhere
Where I never see
How bad it is
Because the weather’s too nice
To see anything
But that

I want to park a cheap little car
Somewhere
And just relax

Just relax
Thinking about
How nice it is

And how it’s only
Ever going to be
Nice

No comments:

Post a Comment