Friday, May 3, 2019

The First Thing I Did Last Summer

She’s not a total stranger

I had a class with her
Two classes?
No, one class

So we were--aware of each other

Um, and I--

Well, the story is
I had just finished
My last final
And I was so excited
Because I felt like I did really well on it?

And it turned out
I did do well
But not really well?

But it didn’t really matter
Because it was well enough
It was a--

It doesn’t matter
What it was
But it’s just to say
I was in a really good mood

So I’m driving away from campus
And I see her walking
And, you know, I have no idea
What made me do it
But I pulled up alongside her
And was like--

Hey girl, you done with finals?

And she smiled
But it was, like, a sad smile
And I just had this feeling
That, like, she was in a weird place
Which, like, I totally get
Because even though I was sooo glad
To be done with the semester
It’s still a little weird
Especially going into summer break
Because there’s all this pressure
About like--

What are you doing for the summer?
Do you have a job?
Do you have an internship?
Are you going away?

And, like, we go to a state school
And nobody here is really rich or anything
So most of us are kind, like, we get embarrassed?

Like, we get embarrassed
About the fact
That summer just means
We’re working extra hours
Or doing another job
Or something
Until school starts again

So, like, I totally got it right away

I was like--

I see you
I get you
I feel you
I know where you are coming from, stranger girl

Even though she wasn’t really, like, a stranger
Clearly
Since I pulled up on her
And was all like ‘Hey’

But, so, she told me
That she was supposed to go home
For the summer
Which was, like, I guess
Ten miles away or something
Like, she lived kind of close
And had one of those roller suitcases
And I was like--

Wait, are you walking
Ten miles home?

And she didn’t say anything
And that’s how I knew she was
Probably because she didn’t have a car
And, like, I would learn stuff later
About her, um, like, the situation?
At home?
At her home?

So I was like--

Don’t be an idiot
Get in my car
I’ll drive you

But then once she was in my car
It just felt like--

Like I was driving her
To her doom
Or something

So on the spot
Off the top of my head
I was like--

Hey, this is probably, like,
Such a longshot
But, I really need help
Cleaning out my Dad’s house
Over the next few days

My Dad was going to be away all summer
Doing this, like, government contractor job
In the Middle East
And so I was going to stay at his house
And probably work at my uncle’s restaurant
A few nights a week
And I actually didn’t need any help
With, like, cleaning anything out
But I could tell from how excited she got
And then tried to pretend she wasn’t
That it was a great idea for her
And, like, honestly for me too
Because it was like--

You should always start your summer
Doing something nice for someone
And also, doing something you didn’t think you would do

And she and I had this awesome summer
It was so great
She never even asked
Why nothing at my Dad’s needed to be cleaned
And she stayed in the guest room
And I got her a job as a hostess working with me
At my Uncle Mike’s
And, um,
We became really good friends
And then she definitely wasn’t a stranger anymore

So that’s the story

It’s, like, not really all that exciting, I guess?

But, um, it’s like,

My favorite story

No comments:

Post a Comment