Wednesday, August 26, 2020

I Can Learn

 The music’s so loud

I can hear it

Through the ceiling


The pounding so loud

I can feel it

Back a year ago


Your heart is so loud

I can keep time to it


What am I to do?


I got a disadvantage here


I got a not a lot of what to do

What to do

I can’t reverse

My plan of attack


I got a lot

But not to do

What I should do

To get

To get

To get


Around the part

Where we can sleep

Under one roof


The cold outside

The cold inside

The dinner goes cold

On the top

Of the stove


I scrubbed the tiles

I let myself need

I let myself scream

I left myself run around

In the breakdown


I’m at a disadvantage


I’m behind the times

I’m below the belt

I’m beneath my own potential


You don’t have to be

Concerned

When you read this


You don’t have to

Like me

To understand me


You don’t have to

Tell me

That a party

Isn’t happening


That a good time

Isn’t right


That you and me

Can sit here

Sit here

Sit here


And tell me

All about myself


I can’t read

The things you wrote

About me

Because I’m at a disadvantage


Set back

Rolled back

Better back

A month ago


Thirty days to a lover

Thirty days to a spent dime

Thirty days till the next time

We get ourselves

In a tangle


I know what

Your message is

But I can’t

Sort it out


Because I’m at a disadvantage


I can’t speak

The mother tongue

Or hear

The native call


Deep inside the smallest part

Of the darkest part

Of our forgotten corner

Of the world


We feel the hurt

Stronger

And with a tougher pull

On our ability

To get in touch


We’re at a disadvantage


There’s no getting ahead

When you’re so far behind


I can make my bed

But I can’t

Change your mind


The letters leave off

The end of the sentence

And that’s where

The answers are


In the period

Or the question mark


Which is which?


I don’t know


I’m at a disadvantage

No comments:

Post a Comment