Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Now Mary

 One day you’ll go

And pack a bag


I’ll find the hallway

Empty of

Your coat


The footsteps

Through the sprinkler

Leading to

A waiting car


And that’ll be all

Like they say

That’ll be all


I’ll make my tea

I’ll have my treat

My old morning routine


The newspaper

Won’t come that day

But I’ll be glad to have

One less thing

To read


I had my fun

I had my time

I’ll go upstairs

To sleep


The arguments

For starting the day

Won’t succeed

In landing

On me


The closet’s need cleaning

The bathroom’s a wreck

The morning’s had it’s run


Who’s going to use

Your shampoo now


Who’s going to call

Who’s going to call me out


One day you’ll go

And won’t come back


I’ll make myself

A dinner

For one


One chop

One bit’

Of vegetable


A tv tray

A sad old chair

With the stuffing

Coming
Out


One good cut

And it’d be

The gutted center

Of a lived-out

Living room


A car pulls up

I get a thrill

But it’s the girl

Across the street

Coming home

From a date


Takes more

To get my ears up now


Young hope

Buoys different


I go for walks

I take my time

The house looks the same

When it pulls up

On my side


Houses have a way

Of greeting you

Especially

When they’d rather

You kept walking


One day you’ll go

And I’ll go too

I’m just not sure where


A mailbox

A letter

A stamp I forgot to buy


I’ll buy a cane

That I don’t need

To present myself

In a way I need to

And start

Over

Again


I’ll watch my walk

I’ll hold my words

I’ll tell myself

I’ve still got time


Now, Mary

There’s no reason

For the day

To repeat


There’s a break

In my voice

When I say your name


There’s a break

That stops me

Stops me

Short

No comments:

Post a Comment