Wednesday, August 12, 2020

I Can't Wait

 Thirty-eight beers

And I’m a better man


Took two weeks

To drink them

And I’m a better man


You put yourself

On the rail

And I’m the bad guy


You cut up

My shirts

And I’m the bad guy


Forgot my own address

And this is my fault


Forgot what I did wrong

And what’s wrong

Is my fault


Took my pills

Got my smile

You told me

I’d be all right


Now I see you

On the beach

With the one who said

I was dialing you down


You got me correct

And I got

All the answers wrong


I failed the test

I prayed

With the wrong hands


Detail the blemish

You found

On my face


The one you said

Came from

All my stress

That’s brought about

By someone

I’ve never met


I’m probably a dick

But you moved out

And didn’t tell me


I left the door open

Because you’ll move back

When you find out

That I have a secret

You left behind


Nothing can take me

Off my couch

And out of my head

And into a better

Living situation


I don’t know

What living

In a situation is


I’d rather be

The person I can be

Than the person

You think

I might

Be able

To be


You’ve been telling people

That I need to change


And they’re laughing

In your face

Because they knew

Just like you

That I change

All the time


But only the good parts


The parts

That you love

Get changed

Into other parts

You love

A little bit less


And the parts you hate

Stay and stay firm

While you tug at it

Like a scab

That’ll bleed too much

If you ever get it loose


You want to cover yourself

In my dark blue blood?


Pull a little harder

But first come back


I lined up thirty-eight

Beer cans

And I told myself

That in one of them

Is a note

From you

Telling me

Why

You decided

I had finally

Become

Too much


I hope the sand

On the beach
Swallows

You up


I hope

It eats you

Hot

And

Alive

No comments:

Post a Comment