Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Hard Way to Learn

I will tell you…

I will tell you (Laughs)
Boy oh boy

It’s a hard way to learn

I’m sure you’d rather be next to him right now
Posting convictions in his ear
About what he should
And-should-not
Be doing

Totally understandable

But the problem is, you see
You fell in love
With a man who can’t be loved

Who takes love
And rolls it over
Until it’s flat
And won’t do nothin’ for nobody

You can’t make a case to somebody like that
They already found themselves guilty
Long before you got there

So now you’re wondering
If I feel bad
That I was stop three
On a six-stop night

Well—

Not really, honey
Not really at all

What I wanna know is
Are you gonna hit up the other five houses too?
See what they have to say
For themselves?

Because you do that
And one of those fools
Is gonna take a couple of your teeth out
Just because they feel like it

I’m not much of a fighter
I’m into passive resistance
So here I am
Sitting
Drinking
Offering you a smoke

Passively
Resisting

(Laughs)

Oh honey, I sympathize with your calamity

You could just love somebody easy
But where’s the fun in that

Instead you found a magic trick
You couldn’t learn
And you’re looking at me
Thinking I know how
To bring the rabbit back

Let me tell you something, darlin’
We’ve all been fooled
By the same trick

But the thing about me is—

I’m not trying to figure it out

I don’t know wanna know
How he does
What he does

I got my own magic
And you got yours too
You just don’t know what it is yet

You wanna know what mine is?

I can see into the future

One day, that man’s gonna be shot
By some woman
Who’s had enough

It won’t be you
But it’ll be somebody

One shot, through the heart
And that’ll be the end of him

I told him what I saw
But he brushed me off
Like I was dust on a book jacket

I told him it wouldn’t be long
Before I’m seeing
Becomes what I see

Blood soaking through a nice tan shirt
Hot, so it must be summer
Dark, so it must be nighttime
Cicadas and beer bottles
A song from 1991 playing on an old jukebox

I gave him all the information
But he didn’t want to hear it
Probably because he knows
He’s going to go barreling into that future
The same way he’s been dashing away from his past

Blind and scared
Blind and scared

And of a little bit of him thinks I might just be
Some crazy bitch

But he’ll learn

He’ll be laying there dying
Thinking, Shit, that bitch was crazy
But she was right too

And you know what?

That’ll be a hard way to learn

How about you, honey?

You wanna know what your future is?

You wanna know what music I’m hearing
When I look at you?

What kind of beer I’m smelling
On the breath
Of the man who stops your heart?

What he’s wearing
What you’re wearing
What the name of the girl is next to him?

Or how about his name?

You want his name?

(A beat)

Yeah, I didn’t think you did

Some things you can’t hear
From some woman at a bar
Whose cigarette’s almost out

Some things you just gotta learn about

On your own

No comments:

Post a Comment