Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A Parking Lot Sky

I promise I won’t fall in love
Under a parking lot sky

I’ll walk twenty miles
To the nearest surprise
And meet somebody
That won’t forget me

He’ll help me find my car
And discourage me from leaving
But my backseat’s full of plans
And my trunk has big ideas

Won’t you miss the sticking around
He asks me, scratching at his eyebrow
Won’t you be sad when you’re so far away
And your life sounds like an old country song

I’ll laugh and ask him what he’d call the song
And he says ‘A Parking Lot Sky’

Six cigarettes later I’m sipping a milkshake
Near a supermarket in LaMotte
Waiting to meet somebody with a lead
On a two-bedroom I can’t afford

And my wheels sputter back a little
Just a few inches
Scares the shit out of me though
So I check to make sure I’m in Park

Park, yup, we’re good
Just a fluke
Old cars got old personalities
And most of them are pissed off

The wheels spit some more
Kick up some sand
And make me drop my milkshake
Out the window

I see the mess it leaves
As the car reverses back out of the parking lot
Almost hitting this nice looking lady
With a shopping cart
That has nothing but two bottles of lotion
And a bag of potato chips in it

Once I’m on the road
I hop into the backseat
With the rest of my plans
Since I won’t be driving anyway

Okay, I think, fine by me
If the car wants to go somewhere
Let it

I’m not the one God gave tires to

After about an hour, I fall asleep
It’s almost like riding a train
And I can tell my car knows what it’s doing

Aside from almost running down a woman with nice skin
It seems to ride on the safe side
Keeping plenty of space between cars
And braking for red lights with time to spare

When I wake up
I check your phone
And it’s seven after eight

I scratch the morning out of my hair
And realize the car’s stopped
And I’m stopped along with it
In front of a sign that says—

‘Where to?’

Where to?
How the hell should I know?
The car was supposed to be in charge of that

I get out and walk up to the sign
Trying to see if I can find a clue

The sign’s covered in what looks like paper
So I pull a piece back
And see there’s something under it

I peel back page-after-page
Until I’ve got all of them off
Except for the top row
But even with that still covered
I can see what I’m looking at

It’s a photo of the guy
Back at the parking lot sky

So I get back in the car
But this time
It needs me to drive

I get out
Unload my trunk
Empty out my backseat
Then start moving ahead of myself

I promised myself I wouldn’t fall in love
But a promise to yourself is the hardest one to keep
Since you’re the only one
Holding you to it

And I have trouble holding on to anything
I’m just slippery like that

When he sees me pull up
I can tell I got here just in time
He wasn’t going to forget me
But he was going to forgive me for leaving
And forgiveness put on love
Is like cold water on a fire

It makes things sweet
When they want to be savored

I get out
Walk over
And wait around
For him to say something clever

Instead he puts his hands on my waist
And gives my neck a kiss

What kind of a man kisses your neck before your lips?

I guess I’m gonna find out

No comments:

Post a Comment