Friday, January 8, 2016

A Little Dragon

Martha has a little dragon
And its name is Miss Lenore

Martha loves her little dragon
But Miss Lenore is quite the bore

She refuses to set fire
To the things that Martha loathes

Miss Lenore’s no fan of arson
And, in fact, she dreams of one day
Being a firefighter
Even though Martha
Tells her that’s absurd

Miss Lenore, says Martha,
Won’t you set fire to my school?
So that I can stay home in bed
And watch The Money Door?

The Money Door is Martha’s favorite game show
One door has money
One does not

Miss Lenore deplores The Money Door
And tells Martha she should be studying
Instead of trying to get her little dragon
To set fire to her school

Someone, says Miss Lenore,
Could get very hurt
Or worse

Not if you do it on a Saturday, says Martha
Or a Sunday night
The right time and everything will be fine
With only ashes left behind

Martha, Martha, says Miss Lenore
That’s enough, now stop
No more

Martha has a little dragon
But the dragon
Never flies

Take me up into the clouds
Says Martha to Miss Lenore
I want to fly above my friends
And their houses
And their cars

I’m afraid of heights, says Miss Lenore
So I couldn’t take you very far

Besides, she says, I’m sure someone
Would probably shoot me down

You can’t just go a-flying
Like a pilot
Over town

I’d need to get a permit
Or a license
Something saying
That I could

Oh Miss Lenore, says Martha
I do wish you weren’t so good

Martha means it
It seems pointless
To have a dragon
Who won’t breathe fire
Or fly

Or scare Martha’s teachers
Or her brother
Or her mother

She won’t let Martha climb on her
To slip and slide along her scales

Climbing in her mouth is out as well
‘If I sneeze,’ says Miss Lenore
‘I’m afraid you’d be impaled’

Miss Lenore tries telling Martha
‘Look both ways’ and--
‘Eat your greens’

‘I thought,’ said Martha
‘That you’d eat whole cows
Plucked from fields
Scooped into your talons
And gobbled down your gullet!’

But Miss Lenore just shakes her head

‘I am,’ she says, ‘Just a little dragon
‘I simple couldn’t eat that way’

So she sticks to chard and celery
And keeps refusing to obey

Martha wishes that her dragon
Was like the kind she sees in books
But Miss Lenore, though quite a bore,
Did have other things in store

At night, she’d tuck in Martha
Then read her stories of knights and kings
And when the lights were off
She’d sit in Martha’s bedroom window
Whistling out to wishing stars

Do you ever make a wish, asks Martha
What would I wish for, asks Miss Lenore

To be a bigger dragon, Martha suggests
I guess I could wish for that, says Miss Lenore
Chewing the idea
Then sneezing it away
Charring the curtains a bit
And sending Martha right into a fit

Go to sleep, says Miss Lenore
Dream of all those bigger dragons
That I’m not

Martha can see that Miss Lenore
Was hurt by the idea
That she should wish for something more

‘Come here,’ says Martha
Pushing aside the covers
And patting her pillow

‘I can’t,’ says Miss Lenore,
‘I have to keep watch
So the stars don’t get ideas’

‘Just for a minute,’ says Martha,
‘Until I fall asleep’

Miss Lenore grumbles
But then floats into bed
Tucking the covers
Over her and Martha’s head

‘Will you be my little dragon forever,’ asks Martha
And Miss Lenore says, ‘Of course’

She covers Martha with her wing
And Martha smells smoke and lavender
A wind comes in from the window
And a star gets a big idea

Martha wishes her little dragon a lovely good night
And Miss Lenore waits until her little girl is asleep
Before she winks at the window
And, ready to fly,
She stretches her wings
And goes into the sky

No comments:

Post a Comment