Sunday, December 2, 2012

In a Second

It really only took a second
To realize
I was not going
In the right direction

And yet I felt compelled
Because I had, you know
Gone in this direction for so long
To just, sort of, keep going
In that direction

I thought about--in that second
My upbringing
Catholicism
Specifically the Devil
Satan, and I, uh, thought about temptation
And I wondered
Is this the Great Temptation?

And by that I mean
Is the biggest temptation
One personal to you
Because mine has always been
Investing too much
For too long
Even when I should stop
And go invest in something else

Or maybe it's everyone's temptation
Who knows?

All I knew was it was a heavy heart moment

I'd heard that expression before

'A heavy heart'

But I didn't realize that it could be literal
That it could be a physical experience
The heavy-ing of one's own heart

Like a break-up, you know?

Except I was breaking up with a journey
With a path I'd chosen for myself
The same way you'd choose a home
Or a job
Or someone to love

I walked away

I looked at something
And it was everything I wanted

And then a second later
It was something else

And people say--

You have trouble committing
And they're right
I do

But my question is--

How much can you commit to anything

When in a single second
Everything can change

No comments:

Post a Comment