Thursday, January 4, 2018

There's An Island, There's No Boat

You think you got no options?

Let me tell you--
Let me tell you something

Focus on me, okay?

All your focus
Right here

Now--

You
Have
Options

The woman who comes in here
And vacuums these floors
And smokes out there next to the dumpster
In front of the ‘No Smoking’ sign?

She’s got options

We all have options

And you?

You’re young

You’re younger than me
And I’m still pretty fucking young
And that has nothing to do
With what I’m talking about

It’s not about options
I’m talking about options

You think you’re on an island now?

Then where’s your boat, huh?

You got an island
But you got no boat

So you gotta build a boat, right?

You know how to build a boat?

You know what to do?

Fuck if I do

I don’t know how to fry an egg
I don’t know how to jump rope
I don’t know how to do that deep breathing thing
All the other counselors talk about

It's just breathing, right?

Can you believe there are ways to do it?

Like, isn't your body
Just supposed to know, you know
Do it the right way
Without you doing anything?

I breathe
I breathe some more
I’m alive

And you’re alive

That's breathing

What else is there?

And this?

This is not a motivational speech

So please

Please

Don’t mistake it for one

There’s an island
There’s no boat
There’s you

What are you gonna do?

What are your options?

There’s a poster over there
That talks about absence
And there’s another poster
That talks about freedom

Which poster
Do you like
Best?

Most people like
The one about freedom
But they remember the one
About absence

Because there is nothing lonelier
In this world
Than freedom

And so really
We should just nail
One poster in front of the other
And call it a day

You are a lost young soul
But you are not
Without options

You are not
Somewhere
Where you can’t find a way
To be free

But I can’t make you free
I don’t know how

I wouldn’t even know
Where to start

There’s an island
There’s water
There's fish
There are trees, maybe?
Palm trees?
Maybe?
Who knows?

And there are two people
Sitting in the sand
Shoes off
Talking
Just talking

One saying to the other--

Please

Please don’t think
This is it

This is not it

A dead end still has a road behind it
It still has a--a--a--

A way you came, right?

So go back
Or don’t
Or don't go back
Drown

But see?

Even at a dead end
With no way back--

There's a way back

Options

I can tell you they’re there

Can I see them?

No

Do I--

Please, now
Focus
Just focus

Sometimes all somebody can do
Is tell you something’s there
Even when they don’t know
If it is

That’s called hope, you know
That’s called
Giving you hope

It’s like giving you air
It’s like giving you something less than air
But it’s something

It’s still something

You’re not the first person
To sit in that chair
And listen to me go on and on
About all this

But I’m on my own island

And my way out?

My boat
That I can’t build?

It’s gonna be you
You or someone like you

Teaching somebody like you


To swim

No comments:

Post a Comment