Friday, July 27, 2018

Here on the Island

Here on the island
I have coconuts
And I’m really not sure
Why I should leave

The other people
The ones who survived the crash
They got on this little boat
And sailed away

And I just wanted to ask them—

What are you sailing back to?

Bills?
Mortgages?
Student loans?

I didn’t say anything
Because it’s really none of my business
And also
I wanted the island to myself anyway

It’s been a lot quieter around here
Without all the crying
And talking about relatives back home

You know who I have back home?

A cousin with a Percocet addiction
And an older brother
Who sells those fake kids
You put out in front of your house
So the real kids don’t get run over

I’m good where I’m at

They won’t miss me
And I won’t miss them

Besides, people may thousands of dollars
To go to islands like this one
And not worry about anything

I got here for free
And I’m never going to have to worry about anything
For the rest of my life

Except for getting sick
Of eating coconuts
But I’ll get over that

I could learn how to hunt
But so far the only thing
I’ve found on the island
Is this one armadillo
With a bad leg
And the thought of eating him
Is enough to make me
Go vegetarian

He walks by me sometimes
At night
When I’m sitting by my fire
Watching the waves
Come up to the place
Where the beach meets the forest

I like to see how long I can sit there
Before the water reaches
My toes

I don’t know how long I can stay here
Before I die of something or other

But the way the world was going
When I left
I think predicting how long
Any of us are going to be around
Is a pretty big waste of time

I say just sit on the beach
And enjoy yourself

Just don’t sit too close
To the wreckage
Because the smell of gasoline
Is still pretty potent
And I had a hallucination
That my dead uncle
Was running through the forest
Chasing that poor armadillo

But then again
Maybe he was

Everybody has to find
Their own little place
In the world

And until I landed her
I wasn’t sure
I’d find mine

I was never a city girl
Because there was too much
Going on

But the country
Made me nervous

And the suburbs
Made me depressed

I never thought of an island
But I was probably scared
Of how lonely I would be

Then when I crashed here
I realized that it takes so much work
To not be lonely

It’s what I’ve been working at
My whole life

Maybe this was
Somebody’s way of telling me
That I needed to just…

Dig into it

Stay here
With just myself
And my coconuts
And find some way
To be happy about it

Nobody’s promised
A life full of people

You get what you came with
And usually
That’s you

So I’m here
And I’m alive
And I’m not going anywhere

But that’s fine

It’s fine
Because it has to be fine

Funny how nice it is
Not to have worry
About how you should feel
About your situation

Funny how nice it is
To just sit on the beach
And watch the beach
Become the ocean

No comments:

Post a Comment